BBQ Sauces

Craig Cole

TVWBB Fan
I'm doing a family pig roast coming this summer, and I would like to provide several choices of BBQ Sauces. I'm looking for potential candidates from the following choices:

-Kansas City Style
--Vinegar Based Carolina
--Vinegar/Tomato Carolina
--Mustard BBQ
--A Wild CArd Sauce

Kansas City Style...
Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce

"Eastern NC" sauce...
1 pint apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper (flakes)
2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)

Mustard BBQ (South Carolina BBQ Sauce)...
Try Maurice's BBQ Sauce

I highly recommend Paul Kirk's Championship Sauces book. There is a wide variety of sauces to make to fit any BBQ needs.

Craig,

Scroll through the "rubs, marinades . . . sauces" forum below. The recipes by K Kruger are excellent. I would start and end there.

My sauce making falls into the semi-random category - various herbs and spices from the kitchen cabinet, not quite chosen at random, but quite variable from day to day. Then there are some extras. For example, today I added some honey, some lime juice, some ketchup, some prepared mustard, and a couple of kinds of vinegar. Then I cooked the sauce in the microwave. The herb and spice base for the sauce was pretty much the same as what I used for the dry rub.

Being lazy, as well as fearful and lacking in full BBQ skills, I usually don't sauce the meat when cooking. I just use a dry rub. I put the sauce on the side at serving time.

I find that usually the semi-random sauce method gives a pretty good result, better than most bottled sauces, but I usually eat most of the BBQ I make without adding extra sauce, not because the sauce is bad, but rather because the extra flavor is just not needed.

Craig, I would definitely look up Steve Petrone's sauces on this site. Great variety and great sauces<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Cole:
I'm doing a family pig roast coming this summer, and I would like to provide several choices of BBQ Sauces. I'm looking for potential candidates from the following choices:

-Kansas City Style
--Vinegar Based Carolina
--Vinegar/Tomato Carolina
--Mustard BBQ
--A Wild CArd Sauce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally, I liked to make my own sauce. If I don't have the time or feel liking taking it, I use,
PC Smokin' Stampede Beer & Chipotle Barbecue. PC is a brand of Loblaw's up here in the hot and muggy north. But I've also seen it's products in the States.

Here are the inredients:

Sugar, water, tomato paste, white vinegar, salt, spices (contain chipotle peppers), brown sugar, modified corn starch, canola and/or soybean oil, natural flavour, onion and garlic powder, caramel colour, coffee, beer, tamarind extract, bourbon, mustard flour, xanthan gum.

Thanks guys! This is a great start. I usually make a good East Carolina sauce and haven't really strayed much from that other than Sweet Baby Rays from the store.

I tried making a sauce from Smoke and Spice and was disappointed with it. Last thing I wanted to do was to try making 50 different sauces to get 1 or 2 good ones.

All these suggestions will give me a great start.

Hey Guys--

I just wanted to post about the Pig Roast. I was in charge of the BBQ Sauces, and wanted to bring a little variety to the party. So I made the following.

No. 5 Sauce - Steve Petrone
Lexington Sauce - Steve Petrone
KC-style - K Kruger
Mango-Chipotle - K Kruger
Carolina Honey - Top Secrets Recipe from Tony Romas.

The No. 5 was the biggest hit. Everybody absolutely loved it, and was asking for the recipe.

The Carolina Honey was a close second.

Thanks for all the posts!

Craig, it's fun trying different sauces, isn't it! There seems to be at least 2 versions of the sauce recipe out there, one with molasses and the other with dark corn syrup. Which one did you use?

Rita

Back