BBQ Sauce

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All,
I just fired up the WSM with three racks of spares. I used the Minion method for the first time, and so far I am very impressed. My temps are holding steady at 226, which is sweet!
My question is basically about barbeque sauce. What sauces do you use? Do you make your own, or buy it from a store? Do you like sweet or tangy? Just wondering what the faithful are using. I am trying Jack Daniels Tennessee Hickory and Mesquite today. It has a bit of sweet and tang to it, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Happy Qing!
Derek

'Afternoon Derek: Before moving to South Carolina and falling in love with the world's best mustard sauces, I was a dyed-in-the-wool KC MasterPiece sauce man. After marrying a true Charleston native who thinks that putting sauce on smoked meat is a sin, I've finally been converted into a non-sauce person! I still occassionally make a batch of mustard sauce (see Recipe posts) but have had more luck living in-between the lines using a glaze (of course, Danny's Mustard Glaze!). ?.John

Derek,
I have to agree with John, I don't use any sauce while cooking. I mix up some KC Masterpiece with a little mesquite honey and put it on the side for anyone who insists on sauce. Usually I find most people go without the sauce after they taste the ribs. Of course if you are doing a pork butt you have to have some sauce to make a proper pulled pork sandwich.
Don

I agree with John and Don, I like my ribs just with a a rub but for family I heat up equal parts ketchup and white vinegar as a dipping sauce.

May the smoke be with you,
Steve

i like to use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. It is very good. Something else to try is a glaze. This works very well.

Danny's Glaze
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup yellow mustard

Bring to a simmer slowly. Let cool. Brush on ribs last 2-3 minutes of cooking. Brush immediately as removing again.

I just use a mustard rub on everything except for brisket where I have been using a marinade of root beer, soy sauce, and worchestershire sauce. I then use a rub.

I like most bbq with no sauce. The exception is with pulled pork. I love the vinegar/pepper sauces.

I do make my own bbq sauces because others like it. In my opinion they taste so much better than store bought and you can customize it to your own taste.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

Here's a link to a clone recipe I use for ribs:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/1910/156.htm

I didn't have dark corn syrup the first time I made it, so I substituted 1/4 cup light corn syrup and 1/4 cup molasses. I liked it, so I still make it that way. It isn't too sweet, and doesn't have any fake hickory or smoke flavor like many commercial sauces have. I apply the sauce (sparingly) when the ribs come off the smoker, and usually let them sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Of course, you should completely ignore the part that tells you to wrap the ribs in foil and bake them in the oven.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back