BBQ prep cart from grill frame?

7F45E733-A5F4-4E0C-9C6B-5FFA76B1A576.jpeg
7BD66E46-7CDE-4598-AAF2-ED524AC69A12.jpeg
Bonus items:

Bottle opener fits in tank hanger holes.
Accessory hooks from underside of shelf relocated to back side with temp zip ties.

Now I'm thinking about a grill cart cooler .... I've been dreaming of making a standing cooler with spray foam, an old plastic cooler and reclaimed wood for years, but a grill cart cooler, now that could be something. Especially with two side tables.

I had an old frame that I hobbled together (I didn't want deal with caster wheels so took the legs from another frame), I bought $20 worth of plywood (2 ft x 4 ft for top, and 2 ft x 2 ft for bottom shelf). Screwed the top directly onto the frame.

It's something to leave outside for drinks / food when we have gatherings. I just throw a table cover over it when we host so people don't get slivers.

1657721424592.png

No, good thing except then you need another one for a grilling work station or patio table.

Simple but effective. I have a feeling if I did something like that, it would turn into a portable work bench for me....LOL.

I've already turned another old frame into a portable work bench already. (an old Genesis 2000 frame, giving me more space). I still have another frame kicking around in my backyard as well, that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

I have all these extra bbq parts from donor grills, and not sure what do with them. :p

1657736219764.png

Just out of curiosity what was so wrong with the grills that they could not be rehabbed but the frames could be saved? Out of over 100 grills I did only one old 1000 series grill I thought would not be worth the work as it had a really rusted frame and warped fire box. I just sold the really nice red lid and good condition drip tray off that one. I have the propane manifold on eBay now. I cut up the frame and used the good tubing to restore other grills as metal tubing is so expensive these days.

Just out of curiosity what was so wrong with the grills that they could not be rehabbed but the frames could be saved? Out of over 100 grills I did only one old 1000 series grill I thought would not be worth the work as it had a really rusted frame and warped fire box. I just sold the really nice red lid and good condition drip tray off that one. I have the propane manifold on eBay now. I cut up the frame and used the good tubing to restore other grills as metal tubing is so expensive these days.

Mainly, I've picked up different grills for different parts (cook box, lids). So over the course of picking up all these bbq's, it's usually taken me 2-3 BBQ's to make 1 decent BBQ.

The main thing I've found with the Genesis 1000 series, is that it takes too much time/money to make the side table slats / bottom shelf slats to make it worth selling. I'd have to get new Z bars, cut either wood or decking (i've priced out about $30-40 for the decking or wood).

But I've had other problems with ordering parts for the Genesis 1000 from Amazon in the later part of my short weber career:
- They send me the wrong sized burner tubes (they include the wrong crossover tube)
- Competitively priced grates are becoming harder to find
- Add new thermometer, etc, I'm having to put in close to $150+, plus the labor of cleaning/prepping which has taken me several hours.

I'm happy to retire from the game, up to date I've:
  • Sold 2 Genesis 1000 (for $300 each),
  • Sold a Q100 to a single mom for cheap to help her out
  • Sold a Silver B as I upgraded to Genesis 1000
  • Gave my Silver A to my BIL / SIL when they got their new house
  • Put together 3 Genesis 1000 to give away to friends and family
  • Keeping 2 Genesis 1000, and a Q2000 for personal use
So all in all, it helped fund my hobby for awhile, kept my mind off of things when I was going through chemo, and got to meet a bunch of cool TVBB members at the first and only (hopefully not the only) Weber meetup.

Now I'm just happy to be a fly on the wall in the forum, have some extra BBQ parts to keep as emergency backups, and hope my current BBQ's last almost a lifetime. :D

I have thought many times about making a Weber prep cart, but every time I get a grill I see how I can put it back into original service and still make a few dollars so I do that. Otherwise I would have to chuck a perfectly good lid, firebox, and manifold or try to sell those separately some how.

I've already turned another old frame into a portable work bench already. (an old Genesis 2000 frame, giving me more space). I still have another frame kicking around in my backyard as well, that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

I have all these extra bbq parts from donor grills, and not sure what do with them. :p

View attachment 55114
Alex, you probably have a lot of good, extra parts that other members could probably use in their own restorations. Maybe think about compiling a list and throwing it on here.

Alex, you probably have a lot of good, extra parts that other members could probably use in their own restorations. Maybe think about compiling a list and throwing it on here.

I hope go through all my stuff and see what I have. It's been a busy summer and I've been dragging my feet. :p

I hope go through all my stuff and see what I have. It's been a busy summer and I've been dragging my feet. :p
LOL., if you were close I would be happy to come over and help you go through it all. You may have some buried treasure there and not even realize it!

Steve, if you need specific parts and willing to drive up the the Wisconsin Dells, I may have some that would interest you.

Steve, if you need specific parts and willing to drive up the the Wisconsin Dells, I may have some that would interest you.
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your offer! I'm still planning on doing a Skyline grill and have been actively looking for one for a while now. If you have anything for one of those or if I can't find a nice enough whatever for a Genesis 1000 I just may take you up on that offer.

Back