BBQ - NJ Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Hazzon

TVWBB Pro
Anyone know of any decent BBQ joints in the tri-state area? I thought I found one called Big Ed's BBQ. They advertise as 'real' bbq ribs. Took a trip there today for lunch. $8.99 gets you all of the baby back or spare ribs you can eat. First batch tasted like warmed sauce - I got a little suspicious. Got the next batch with sauce on the side - tasted like a wet noodle. Asked how they were cooked and was told it was a secret. hmmph. Said I didn't want the ingredients, just wanted to know how they were cooked. Waitress let me in on their secret to success - they're .... BOILED! yuck...yuck...yuck

Of course my buddy thought they were good. Promised him a batch of smoked back ribs next week. Think I have any chances of converting him?

Anyway, if anyone knows of good BBQ in or around Central NJ I'd appreciate it.

What a laugh! A bud took me to the same place after months of talking it up.
However, I always order mine dry, so there was no hiding the boiled genes of those bones!
In the end it was a good thing because it inspired my eventual purchase of the WSM.
If you're desperate, there was a recent article in the NYT about true barbeque joints in the city.

I used to be a fan of Big Ed's a while back myself. I used to go to the one in Old Bridge on Rt34 and I went to the one in Belmar last year. I think the ribs quality went downhill since they went to the "all you can eat" all the time. I agree they must boil them and use the sauce to give flavor. Of course the WSM ribs will beat them every time.
A friend said Famous Daves just opened in Brick and said they were good-they claim to smoke their ribs for hours. I will try check them out one day soon (when it's too cold to use the WSM)

Just ate at Famous Dave's in Billings, MT this week and it was pretty good, for a chain. I do believe everything I ate was really smoked, and the ribs were not boiled. The prices were reasonable, too. Then again, I used my WSM for the first time yesterday and made the wet rub brisket, and I was in heaven! My son even said it was better than Famous Dave's, and he really liked Famous Dave's. Just as a side note, the owner of Famous Dave's is going to be the new head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

I found out a Famous Dave's opened up in the Hillsborough, NJ area. It's a nice drive from my home, but there's also a guy down the street that sells smoke wood. May have to make iy out that way and give both a visit!

There is also a Famous Daves in Mountainside. Before WSM, I got my ribs there.
Russ, can you share that wood source?

There are now Famous Daves in Dallas/Ft Worth. I went to one locally and frankly, I don't know how they're going to stay in business in this town. There stuff is okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to at least half a dozen places in the area. Sony Bryans, Rail Head, and Hickory Creek are some great places in the area that have much better "Q" at better prices. The only difference at FD's is that it's a sit down place. But as far as I'm concerned that's a negative. Can you say "tip".

Have any of you folks been to a Smokey Bones? I went to one in Atlanta some time back and I was pretty impressed with there ribs. It's a sit down place as well but the ribs were pretty impressive.

Opening a chain BBQ in Dallas is about as smart as opening a Taco Bell in Phoenix...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back