BBQ Guru Eyelet

Gary Hodgin

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm a new WSM 18.5" owner and have only cooked on it a few times. I've been running my Weber remote thermometer through one of the top opening vents. This doesn't seem to be a very convenient way of doing things so I'm thinking about adding a set of eyelets sold by BBQ Guru and run my food probe and pit probe when I get one through the eyelets.

Anyone use these things and if so any problems? The only thing I could see is that possibly there could be some heat loss.
Eyelets

I have installed one of these into my WSM. I quite like it. I can get both probes for my Guru through one eyelet. I would like to put the other eyelet in but the screw and nut they sent with the pair snapped when I was trying to take it off after applying the first one. Well worth it still though. I have seen no issues with heat loss through such a small opening.

Shawn,
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a set yesterday. I also ordered a digiq. I'd thought about a Stoker, but decided on the digiq. It's nice to know both wires will go through one eyelet, but I'll install both eyelets anyway. I could run my Weber through one eyelet when I have more than piece of meat.

If you need the screw and nut for the eyelet, send me an email with your address and I'll send you mine if I don't break it too.

P.S. I received my eyelets today and installation went well. I'd be happy to send you my screw and nut if you could use it, but I just checked and don't see a way to send a private email. I'd advise against posting an email publicly.

Guru eyelets are great. Be advised that if you upgrade to a Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer system, the probes are too big to go thru a Guru eyelet. I ended up drilling a small 3/8 hole and installing a hollow metal threaded shaft thats used for a lamp repair. Cost me $4 and probes for my digiq and maverick will ALL go thru one hole.

I've got cajun bandit's 3/8" eyelets and i think their set up is alittle better than trying to flair one side of the eyelet that guru sells in their eyelet kit. I have guru's on my WSM bc i bought a digiq from them at the same time. CB's eyelets are good but does require you doing some drilling. I guess it depend on what you might be comfortable with.

Jason,
I'm not planning on drilling on my WSM, but I'm interested in the type of drill bit you used just in case I ever do. I drilled holes on my Char-coal gas grill for a couple of thermometers with no problem. I used a standard drill bit, but I'm not sure about drilling in the porcelain on the weber.

I believe its called a step drill bit. It has a variety of sizes on one conical looking bit. Like you I didn't want to drill either on my new WSM, but I did have a kettle that I wanted to add some mods to. So I drilled it for the digiq adapter i had extra and one of the 3/8 eyelets. I got all my info for the project from cajun bandit instructions and this website. There is some good info on the mods page of this site on how to properly drill and what you need. FYI the bit is expensive at Lowes, I saw one for 40 bucks! I got a 3 pack that covered up to an inch for 50 bucks.

After looking at HD and being very discouraged by the price, I ended up getting a step bit off Amazon for 12-13 bucks. I've only used it for installing Guru adapters and it's worked great. You don't really need it for eyelets though. A 3/8ths bit worked fine for mine.

Originally posted by Shawn Gardner:
I have installed one of these into my WSM. I quite like it. I can get both probes for my Guru through one eyelet. I would like to put the other eyelet in but the screw and nut they sent with the pair snapped when I was trying to take it off after applying the first one. Well worth it still though. I have seen no issues with heat loss through such a small opening.

I wrote a brief article a long time ago about that. You can buy those allen screws at the local hardware store in stainless steel. Typically in the aisle that has those racks of slide out boxes. I have 4 of these eyelets in my WSM for years.

The other type that look good to me are the ones from Cajun Bandit, which are removable and don't have the crush/crimp application like the BBQ Guru's do.

I have a step drill set. I use these for larger holes, not required IMHO for eyelet installs. Just put some tape over the outside though to prevent chipping of enamel just as you would drilling in general on the WSM or other porcelain coated material.

I have a step bit somewhere around here but I'm not sure if the one I have would be large enough to drill a hole for the adapter, but I really don't think I'll ever need one that big. It's good to know the bit will work though. I thought perhaps a special bit tip designed for porcelain/glass might be necessary to prevent cracking.

I'd noticed some of the modifications people have made on their smokers. I thought installing a couple of handles on the middle section would make it more convenient to take the section off when/if necessary, especially if the smoker is hot. Although I've only used my smoker 4 times, I haven't needed to remove it for anything. I have a good set of pit mitts that should sufficient if I ever have to remove it.

Normally when I drill a hole I use a punch to keep the bit from wondering but I'm pretty sure that would crack the porcelain. I hadn't thought about tape and a standard bit for small holes.

With the tape it will help hold say a 1/16 bit or smaller to get started, just make sure it's sharp.

I actually have one of those spring loaded punches that made a dimple that was adequate and didn't require the typical hammer and punch method. But if you have a sharp 1/16 bit that should work to get a starter whole done, then pass a 1/8th through, then the step bit. Use a double layer of tape and I think that will hold the 1/16 bit until it starts.

Make the 1" whole level with the whole you would use from one of the vents. I just made a rough measurement down from the top of the bowl to the center of the vent hole I had been using previous.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mine if I ever modify. I had read somewhere that someone had used a hole saw to drill the hole for the adapter. Based on my limited experience with a hole saw, I don't think I'd want to try that.

Agreed

Step drill is perfect for this IMHO although more expensive than a hole saw. With the shape of the bowl, the porcelain coating, etc I'd definitely go with the step drill if at all possible. I think it's a perfect application for a step drill.

I know others have gone the hole saw route and did OK, but IMHO there's a lot more chance of error and binding that could get nasty.

Ray,

I used blue painters tape and doubled layered it on both side of the WSM wall. I lightly tapped a center punch once to make a slight indention. My pilot hole was small...I think it was 3/32. The tape kept the small bit from wandering. Once the pilot hole was established, I immediately went thru with the 3/8.
I had absolutely no chipping or enamel problems. When I finished, I touched it up with black automotive touch up paint, and when I installed the hollow metal shaft, the nuts holding it in place covered the drill hole for cosmetic purposes.
Most seem scared to make this modification. Take your time and dont rush. A good sharp set of drill bits makes a clean hole in this thin walled material.

Yep pretty much the same with me Morrey as far as the doubled painters tape.

I went with a 7/8 whole for my finished mounting hole size though not 3/8.

Back