BBQ Guru Digi-Q DX

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
I have had my Guru for several months and used it maybe 6 or 7 times. Last two times I have had controller issues where the digital readout reads all 88888888's and hangs up. Switching between pit and probe temps hangs it up as well as setting the pit temps up or down.
I just sent it back to Guru for repair so thats a done deal.
My question is.....do other folks have frequent problems like this? I realize electronic devices can and will give problems from time to time. Are these considered good devices or are they full of problems? Do I have a lemon or are these controllers known for one issue after another? Thanks for inputs.

I've used mine about the same amount as you with zero issues.

Keep us posted with how the repair plays out.

I had a really nice DIGIQII that I enjoyed for a few years and ran into some probe issues, and then somehow moisture got into the board itself, and the folks at Guru took care of me. I eventually broke down and purchased a Stoker and just love it. The Guru is a great ATC and the customer service at Guru is second to none.

Thanks guys. When I get the Guru back from repairs I'm sure I will feel better about the whole thing. Maybe its just one of those odd electronic problems that can easily be repaired or replaced. And yes, the folks at Guru were very responsive on the phone so far. I'll post soon when I get back on the WSM and use the repaired Guru.

Don't worry Morrey, I have a Stoker and a Guru and at one point or another I have had bugs with both.

Will be seeing you in Hartsville?

Hey Tim,

Got Guru back yesterday. Company says circuit board had issues so they replaced the board. Works fine so far, but will test on WSM next weekend for the real deal.
Heading to Hardeeville to work on that new event which is same weekend as Hartsville. I'd rather go to Hartsville since its real close to Darlington. Judy told me you might compete there. Good luck!

I have a DigiQ 2 Guru and NO problems. One of the cables (pit temp) came out and I called them and they said they would ship me out a new one immediately. I crimeped the one I had a bit more and NO PROBLEMS. Trust in the GURU and it will serve you well. If it's even thinking about rain, I put a heavy plastic zip-lock bag over the Controller to keep out any moisture, but luckily it hs never rained on it. It's a cheap precaution to take to protect your Guru.

Back