BBQ Gloves

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Can anyone recommend a good set of BBQ gloves; the ones made of rubber or latex. I would like some that are thin and flexible but will keep my fingers cool when I pick up the meat.

I use the blue long sleeve Wells Lamont gloves from Lowes for working around the cooker. About $5.00 each. For other tasks, pulling pork for instance, I use a cloth glove (one that fits your hand well) and slip a white latex glove over it. Nice fit and flexibility. Throw away the latex and if the cloth gloves gets dirty just wash them and use again. Cheap, easy, and efficient!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For other tasks, pulling pork for instance, I use a cloth glove (one that fits your hand well) and slip a white latex glove over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, I'd never thought about this, we have both here at the house. The cloth glove keeps your fingers cool enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
They get a little warm but nothing you couldn't handle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude - if you're still feeling anything through the cloth glove/latex solution, you ain't pulled enough pork!!! You better start practicing
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
. I think i've lost feeling in my fingers because its got to be pretty darn hot for me to be bothered by it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Dukes:
I got mine from Texas BBQ Rub for $10. They work pretty well.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I got mine there about 4 years ago and have held up well until my last cook. No fault of the gloves but I killed them. Seems I forgot I had the rubber gloves on instead of my leather welding gloves, and well, I did some coal rearranging, and they got melted a bit.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Anywho I need more rub so I'll pick up another pair from Bill.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Texas BBQ gloves. at $10 with free shipping and handling they are a great buy. I've ordered my pair already.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Wildrick:
Thanks for the "heads up" on the Texas BBQ gloves. at $10 with free shipping and handling they are a great buy. I've ordered my pair already.

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff - I think you will like them. That's the same ones sold by BBQ Guru. I use them a lot in the kitchen, when grilling, even when not using the WSM. Decent heat protection. Just don't grab the grates directly they can melt the gloves.

Dave,

Some of these guys probably have some nicer gloves than the ones I use, but if you want something cheap and readily available, I use the black PVC gloves from wal mart. You can get them in the janitorial section and I think they are less than 2 bucks. that way if you ruin a pair in the dishwasher or whatever, you can snag another set right away. If your Q is too hot to pull with them on, you have plenty of room in them to put another pair on underneath (I rarely encounter this problem)

Smoke on.

hunter

I have the Raichlen ones that are in the above Amazon link. While they do work, they can be a bit cumbersome to use.

Problems I have:

1. They are a bit slippery once you have them on.

2. You loose fine dexterity due to their bulk and above slipperiness, it's hard to perform tasks like pulling pork.

3. Since they are so slippery you have a damn hard time removing them once you get some grease on them.

I find they're useful for removing hot stuff from the grill/wsm, not much more than that. I still get a lot of use out of them for this purpose.

I bit on those $10 gloves, too...thanks for the link. I was looking around Bed Bath & Beyond and Wal-Mart for something similar without any luck at all.

I have the Raichlen ones. They are a tad slippery, but they are very insulated. I've used them to pull pork and to help me hold whole chicken as I cut it... etc. - I like them ok.

As far as "slipperyness" goes - they are somewhat slippery when they get greasy, yes, but they are also coated with some kind of sticky coating (at least mine are) to try to counteract this.

The only real gripe I have about mine is that they got stained a funky color when I pulled my first pork with them and now they always look a little off. It's not a major thing - but you'd expect rubber gloves to not get stained so easily.

Back