bbq fundraiser

John Thom

TVWBB Member
My 3 year old daughter was given a scholarship to go to a local preschool. The one I went to when I was a boy in fact. I would like to attempt to pay them back for their help, and was thinking of being a food vendor with all proceeds going to them at a local octoberfest/homebrew competition. This will be the third year of it. I attended the first year and enjoyed it umm lots. The first year was 1000 people, last year 1500. So I'm guessing 2000 this year. I only have the 2 kettles and wsm, plus a chargriller I'm not excited to use again for pulled pork(I like my sleep). I was thinking of doing pulled pork obviously but am craving some advice. How many can I expect to feed? If I get almost everything minus the cookers donated what do I charge per sandwich. I'm not too afraid of the challenge, in fact would love to do it. I assume the max I could do butt wise is 6. Would feed about 90 people I'm guessing. I could do some beer bathed bratwurst too maybe. Anyways thoughts? Input. Nice to see you guys again.

I would agree with 6 butts in the WSM and maybe a brat/hot tub set up in a kettle.

Very rough math: 60 lbs. of butt should yield maybe 30-45 lbs. cooked. With small rolls and maybe 4 oz. servings, that's a lot of sandwiches.

Brat yield is a lot easier to figure out! Hopefully someone that knows the math will chime in, but if you search on here you may find catering posts.

Sounds like a great cause and a lot of "fun work".

Last edited:
John,

On my 18.5 with 6 butts around 10 lbs each, as much as I can fit in there, packing tightly with skewers to keep them standing up and apart, using smaller than normal portions, I can feed 100 people, give or take. If you work at it you can set a kettle up and cook 2, maybe 3, butts there, but with a fair amount of set up and tending, so that's max 6 more butts. In my world that would be 200 people, but with a lot of work. I'd be wary of all the work to do that many butts on kettles, but you may be able to do it. Good luck, and do give pictures.

If you can get someone to donate small bags of chips and beverages, 7$ for a meal would be a Good start. I have cooked for a few groups doing fundraiser and gotten them 50#. They all served about 130 people and had some they sold to there members for 10$ a pound. Also if you were closer I would help out.

Last edited:
How many can I expect to feed? If I get almost everything minus the cookers donated what do I charge per sandwich.

John, how many depends on how much advance work you can put in. Most of your work will be done in advance. Cooking, pulling, bagging/containing, stagging your booth, icing down drinks, getting sauce in squirt containers or bowls, etc. You can pre-cook butts in advance, pull them and then re-heat the day of the event. Do you have electricity available? If so, the large roasters work very well for holding food at serving temps. Get at least 1 other person to help you; you'll need it. As far as charging...if most is donated then you'll be working with very high profit margins. Do you have a feel for prices of other food booths? Get the going rate. It really depends on what you're serving...PP sandwich alone or with chips, soda, water, etc. I'd offer a 'meal deal' with all three for a set price. Since you have donated product you can set your prices at an attractive rate. Sure, you want to maximize the opportunity, but you also don't want to drive away business. Have fun and good luck.

Paul

Back