BBQ competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Funk

TVWBB Member
Does anybody know how these work? What do the competitors do with all that glorious Q? Is the public allowed in (for a price?) after the cooking and judging takes place? If the public *is* allowed in, any ideas on how to find local events? I would sure like to see some competitions - I'm a *long* way from competing myself, but maybe I'll get inspired by going to some.

- Dave Funk -

David,

Check the California BBQ Assn for a list of events in the state. There aren't too many to choose from in NorCal. There is a contest in Martinez tomorrow that you can visit. See http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000320 for details.

The public is welcome at contests, but there may be an admission fee. Competitors cook more meat than they need so they can choose from the best end result to turn in to the judges. They sometimes share leftovers with visitors, although this may not be allowed at some contests because of health dept. rules.

Regards,
Chris

With all due respect. There are some pictures of turn in boxes on that site that are not within the rules of KCBS and if you tried using them in KCBS contest you would get DQ'ed. The rule violated is "Sculpting". I got this from the Top Rep at KCBS it is not my opinion.

David,
If you want to chat with the folks doing the cooking go there the first day when they have setup and have the smokers cranked up. Cause on the next day when they do turn in they have been up all night and they have a tight turn in schedule and are focused on finishing and getting their product turned in...

They are much more ameniable and you will find the most friendly folks the day before turn in. They may offer you a sample or a cold beverage and talk que for hours...great people!

PrestonD

Konrad,

I'm pretty sure I've got a grip on the concept of sculpting, but could you explain it to me a little further?
Sculpting?

I'm thinking that the 7th picture down on this page (pork) is definitely sculpted. Which of the others are sculpted, and why? I hope to compete one day, but I want a thorough understanding of ALL the rules before I do. The KCBS rules on that site mention sculpting but they don't explain it.

I hope it's as obvious as I think it is!

Kelly

The pork is the one I checked on with KCBS.
The rest look OK. I have heard of folks putting ribs on top of one another so there are not 6 visible pieces and getting a 1 for presentation. I would highly recomend taking a judging class if you want to me succesful in competition. Although I only just took the class at the Royal.

Thanks, Konrad. Hubby and I were planning on the class in Hollister this past July, but it was cancelled. We had sort of an impromptu, unofficial class at my dad's house (he's an experienced KCBS judge, often table captain). We'll be at his house for Thanksgiving, so we'll probably get another "class" then. We definitely want to take an officical class and become certified before we compete. That shouldn't be a problem; I've been told on more than one occasion that I'm certifiable.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kelly

Sometimes, the difference between sculpting your turn-in and an attractive entry is a fine line. Also hazy regarding applying sauce and the pooling thereof. A couple examples--sorry no pictures to illustrate what I am talking about.

For pork butt, I try to always turn in both sliced and pulled. I select one of the long muscles for slicing, which ends up being perfect ovals in shape. I stagger this vertically down the center of the tray. I run two vertical lines of pulled pork, one on either side of the sliced. I fill in with parsley so it kinda looks like a butcher display case.

I was cooking in Iowa and was talking to another cook about this who warned me that some judges consider any sliced meat that does not conform to the natural shape of the meat is sculpting. He thought my slicing style might get kicked out. It did not, but, you need to ask at the cooks meeting for specifics--to make sure you are in sync with the local practices.

As for sauces, I have, on occassion, sauced my brisket after cutting it. A nice painting is all I do. But, I saw some folks turning in brisket, and pork, in Minnesota, that were swimming in sauce. Don't recall how the brisket turned out, but the pork won 3rd place. I would have called it a puddle of sauce in which a little meat had been added.

Go figure.

I would recommend, as have others, to take a judging class, but I would not wait to compete before taking one, if the opportunity presents itself. I think both provide good experiences and you will learn a lot.

Dale

I agree it's a fine line. It is better to be safe than sorry. Folks have gotten DQ'ed because their ribs were not touching and the judges felt they were in the shape of an M and called it marking. I saw a presentation where the tapered muscle was sliced and layed out in a circular pattern with a scoop of pulled pork at the thick end. It was a work of art that looked like a sea shell and it was sculpting in my book. But I don't cry fowl not even when folks are using propane at 3 in the morning /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I agree about competing before taking the CBJ class. We took the CBJ class the day we cooked the AR Invitational. The ring mold on pulled pork is sculpting, I emailed KCBS and the answer came from on up high and was delivered in person at the Royal /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Konrad, now that you have been to the Royal, you have seen the various "rigs" that folks outside of the northwest are using.

It was a real eye-opener for me when I moved here from Vancouver, WA. Electric drafts, augers (which you sometimes see up your way), electronic thermostats on the exhaust stack to control the airvents on the fire, and some mighty suspicious propane tanks hooked up to smoking rigs.

It got to bothering me a little after about 6 events, so I checked and except for propane and electric heat sources, anything else is ok.

Me and my little WSM keeps chugging along, with my lung-powered draft, my nosy adjustments to the airvents, and my hand-powered rotiserre (otherwise known as rotating the meat from one grate to another halfway through the cook.

The most unusual accessory I saw, was in Minnesota and they took 1st place in Brisket! The were using two 55 gallon drums, stacked on top of each other, with about 4 access doors and a half dozen racks or so inside. The bottom looked like a kettle with stubby legs.

Anyway, their unusual accessory was a piece of carboard, cut to the shape of the brisket and laid underneath each brisket. Their theory was it kept the bottom side from drying out so they never had to rotate the meat. It must work as they won the ribbon.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back