BBQ Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
If you were going to buy two or three BBQ books to try to get you through a cold winter and hopefully teach you something about Q, which one's do the experts here at TVWB have on their shelves?

Bruce,

While I don't consider myself an expert, I'm still happy to offer an opinion.

Smoke and Spice will probably get mentioned more than once here. It is a fun book for the bbq lore and stories in it, along with a variety of recipes. Don't pay too much attention to the times and temperatures they recommend; you'll get better advice on this site.

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces is also excellent, and has a great deal of information on constructing your own rubs, sauces, and mops as well as quite a few recipes for each.

Good reading,

Rick

Bruce,
Some time ago I purchased a book,Whatcha Need to Know to Barbeque Like a Pro,by Ron Lutz. I found this book very interesting.As of now I have read it twice and enjoyed it just as much as the first time.At the end of this book he lists addresses and sites.One site he lists is the Virtualweberbullet site.
His E-Mail Riqdoer@aol.com. He writes about an off set cooker but also the WSM.

Hi Bruce!

I have not purchased a cookbook in over 7 years(though I have received many for gifts). There is simply no need anymore with the advent of the Internet. There are hundreds of recipe sites with search engines that make it easy to find about anything you wish. I will take the word of a tried and true recipe any day over one from a cookbook.

I got Emeril's Rustic book a couple years ago for Xmas.....tried several recipes and they were absolutely terrible! I swear they were never tested!

Of course, if you like to collect them, then you should buy....but, I know far too many people who have a fantastic collection of cookbooks and never open them....what good are they?

Here is a link that is FREE and better than any BBQ book I have looked at. You can print it out...140 pages or so, and read at your leisure. It covers every single aspect of BBQing.

http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq.asp

I also find it amusing that Smoke and Spice is always so highly recommended but there is always a note to it...the cooking times are nowhere near accurate and should be ignored. So, it is good for recipes only.

If you need other sites to keep you entertained with BBQ recipes, the one above has hundreds of them, let me know.

"Smoke and Spice" has already been mentioned. There is also a follow-up book by the same authors (Jamison), "Sublime Smoke"; also worthy of having, although not as good as the first. And of course, the usual caveat, "the times and temps are both too low".

In addition, Raichlen has a good book, "The Barbecue Bible". It's as much about grilling as about smoking, but many of the recipies can be adapted and in any event, it's a good book to have, if you're looking for barbeque books.

-- Ken

This book is out of print, but you can find it used on Amazon. (Go though this site to get to Amazon.)

Smokestack Lightning by Lolis Eric Ellie

It's not a how to-book, but a non fiction book documenting a journey two guys make eating BBQ accross the US. They hit all areas of the country -- the South, Texas, Kansas City etc. The book is an exploration of BBQ styles, traditions, and culture surrounding it.

It's a fascinating read if you can find a copy.

Hey, Stogie, I also tried an Emeril recipe, but mine was for French bread.

Unedible. Sea water is less salty.

Obviously, Emeril's books are published with no actual cooking to test the recipes.

Oh, well, the love of money does do some strange things to people.

John Willingham's World Championship BBQ is supposed to be a really good book although I have yet to read it. That along with Smoke & Spice and Paul Kirk's book are supoosed to be the "top three" as far as Q'in books go.
---------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back