bbq beans in cast iron question

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
just got around to cleaning and refinishing 4 old/used pieces of CI i've collected from yard sells for the past while. People just dont understand what they have I guess, one is an older looking griswold double pan.. thing that can act as a lid or another pan. I don't know if its "good" or not but it was 3 dollars! I (meaning my girlfriend) couldn't find the exact one online anywhere but very similar ones were priced used in good condition at around 60 dollars give or take. I've gotton them all super polished and cleaned and in the process of seasoning now. i've read that it wouldn't be a bad idea, (although i don't know if its a must) if possible to cook fatty type things in it for the first few, or several cooks. But i was thinking about beans in one of these (dutch oven) with some bbq in the smoker. what do you think. would be kind of cool if you could throw some good dutch oven ideas at me to if you would, it would be something new for me to try. I use a lot of cast iron skillet's and things in the house but not so much the dutch oven type stuff. I really want to do my chili in there but had read tomato based things may be to acidic at first which really dissapointed me. thanks. Im going to be shining up three more today, i've got quite the collection now of random pieces going, im kind of hooked now.

I'm w/ Tom on avoiding beans (and soups) for a first few cooks. Try a simple bacon and eggs meal or something fatty like that. Over the summer, I did a jambalaya after a few breads in my new camp dutch oven and had to re-season afterwards. The factory seasoning wasn't as thick as I had hoped and just got cooked away; especially on the lid where the moisture collected.

I kind of typed that wrong. I mean Im not cooking in them yet and yesterday and today have been seasoning them. I put a very very thin coat of crisco and bake at 430 deg. for an hour or till they've cured or whatever you call it (no more shiny, or puddling) I'm on my third coat today, and there really looking good so far. sorry. I meant the first cook AFTER all of this. thanks.

If you're talking about beans with a lot of tomato-y ( i.e., acidic) sauce, I would avoid that until you have a good seasoning built up. And I don't mean a one or two time Crisco in the oven, but some actual use.

I have not researched collecting a lot, but I do recall that the Griswolds are considered quite collectible.

Back