Baskets for cooking or NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Johnson

I have always used the baskets for lighting and cooking. A friend (also with a performer) never uses the baskets for any of it...even cooking!!! How about others ????

Bob J

I don't use them in my Performer except occasionaly for an indirect cook. I tried them for grilling when I first got it and found the heat was too concentrated in one area. I prefer a sloped multi-zone fire for most grilling.
If you are not using a zoned fire, give it a try and I think you will see improvement in your results.

I've never used mine, so they must not be that important
icon_smile.gif

I will use them for some things, and not for others, it depends.

For burgers, for instance, I'll use them in the center, starting the burgers there and moving them out once they get a little seared to finish up over indirect heat.

For a lot of chicken though, I'll light a pile in the middle (no baskets), and spread them out to cook everything at once.

They are good though for very small amounts of food, like a couple of steaks, cause I can make a very hot fire with just a few coals and keep the heat where I need it.

i was surprised that the baskets that came with the 26 are the same size as the 22. i tried them for size and they conform more closely to the sides of my 18 sjp. they really look small inside to 26. no where near the size they need to be. ive used firebricks until now but was looking forward to the baskets. guess they will work ok but would have been nice for them to fit the grill better

I treat the baskets as just another tool in the arsenal. I use the baskets for some styles/dishes and a tiered for others and a ring for others or a pyramid for the wok. The good thing about the baskets is that they retain the unburnt briquettes and you can save it and use it again quickly without getting your hands dirty.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back