Barbecuing Addiction

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
Since I got my 18.5 WSM all I want to do is barbecue on it. I have got so many things I want to try I do not know where to start I need to retire to do them all. I cannot wait for the cooks to get done to see how the food tastes. If I did retire I would probably weigh 350 lbs. I am going to Georgia this weekend and am taking my chain saw in hopes of getting some pecan wood to use for smoking.

Steve

Steve

Welcome to the WSM addiction.

When I first got my WSM last sept. I cooked on it 4 times in the first 7 days I had it.

I still get excited like a kid in a candy store, when I'm cooking on it.

I don't know if it's the smoke, the food or probably both, but I sure like cooking with it.

Happy Smoking !!!!

I too have become obsessed with my WSM. I get all mad when my wife wants to use the stove or, worse...THE GAS GRILL!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Oh yes, my WSM and grills are my great weekend escape! All week I look forward to my smoke therapy sessions!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dace:
I get all mad when my wife wants to use the stove or, worse...THE GAS GRILL!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too funny! I thought I was the only one. If it's nice out after work and my wife has dinner plans not involving the kettle (WSM is for weekends) I get seriously bummed out. Irrational, I know...but aren't all addictions?
icon_smile.gif

While I got my first WSM only a month ago, I have used it every weekend since and have cooks planned for *at least* the next 3 weekends. It's hard to decide what to cook. I want to try some turkey, but MAN those ribs last weekend were good and I want more of them, and one can never have enough pulled pork. I find myself looking forward to trips to the grocery store now, to see what meat is on sale, and have made it a mission to find the world's cheapest charcoal.

Biggest problem I have now is I can't bring myself to eat at commercial places any more, even though I used to enjoy them well enough.

Ditto all the above. The first couple weeks I had to actually invite (convince) people to come for our ritual BBQ Sunday.... Now its a question of turning very disappointed people away or negotiating exchange of boating privileges for guaranteed BBQ invites LMAO!! Life is good!

Steven,there are a lot worse things you could be addicted to! Just go with it and enjoy! Read my signature and you'll understand.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like you're well on your way to garnering the mad scientist-type of reputation many of us enjoy among our Q-eating, non-smoking friends. Run with it. Be sure to use all kinds of arcane lore and mumble to yourself about different cuts of meat and temps while slicing.

Oh yeah, and you'll know you've got it all figured out when you learn NOT to shower for bed after smoking. Drives the wimmern crazy!
icon_razz.gif

Back