Bar-B-Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Thom

TVWBB Member
I rescued this Bar-B-Kettle at a yard sale today for 5 bucks. Only needs a top grate. Any thoughts on how to determine its age, or idea of its age? Restoration ideas would be appreciated also. Neat old grill. Dig the metal handles. Thanks!
66848760@N07
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66848760@N07/

Can't see the lid vent well enough to tell if there is a pat. # but by the thumb screws in the legs likely late 60's early 70's

pretty hard to tell with those.

if there's a patent number on the top vent, its >71

looks to be in decent shape. it's gray right? (hard to tell from pics)

I would be surprised if the lid vent is stamped with a patent number. The patent at issue teaches a design that eliminated the need for thumbscrews in the leg sockets.

Yes its grey. Sorry the pics are crappy. I might take some more tonight and see how they turn out. No pat. numbers on vent. Just says Bar-B-Q Kettle and Weber-Stephen products Co, Arlington Heights, ILL. Has some pretty good dents on lid. Just had to get it. Its an antique. Love old webers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Thom:
Yes its grey. Sorry the pics are crappy. I might take some more tonight and see how they turn out. No pat. numbers on vent. Just says Bar-B-Q Kettle and Weber-Stephen products Co, Arlington Heights, ILL. Has some pretty good dents on lid. Just had to get it. Its an antique. Love old webers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, First off congrats on your new kettle. They stopped using thumb screws to attach the legs in late 1969/early 1970.
Judging by your top handle being wood and not metal, you having thumb screws to secure your legs and that style ash catcher without the cut outs and clips(The ones from the early 60's have cutouts and clips) I would say your kettle is late 60's

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would be surprised if the lid vent is stamped with a patent number. The patent at issue teaches a design that eliminated the need for thumbscrews in the leg sockets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, some of the older ones from the mid 60's also have patent numbers. It's just a different patent than the ones you see post 1970. (I had a 1965 Kettle with a patent number.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back