Baked swai with fake crab meat stuffing

Looks good, like I can inhale that but what you got going on?
This is the recipe which I modded, a lot.

1666489548116.png

These were some of the mods and then I added more which I’ll detail after dinner.

1666489585668.png

I had around 12 oz of imitation crab, the kind used in sushi rolls, strings, not lump like surimi. Shredded these in the food processor.

Add 1/2 cup panko to the shredded crab
In the food processor, after the crab was removed, I added and chopped:
1/2 red bell pepper
1 stalk celery
1/4” x 3” round chunk red onion

Mix these till chopped. Do not purée.
Incorporate all these ingredients

Then add:
3 Tbs mayo
1/2 of a quarter pound stick of melted unsalted butter
W-sauce, a few dashes
2 egg whites, reserve the yolks for the topping as described in the recipe
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne (omit if you don’t want heat)
A few pinches of freshly chopped Italian parsley
A few dashes of Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
Dash of granulated garlic

Mix all these ingredients. Take a small amount and place in microwave safe bowl and cook for 20 seconds on 70% power to taste the crab filling to your profile and liking.

I added EVOO onto my baking sheet and placed the dried swai (aka basa) fillets on the sheet and then very lightly oiled the top of the fish fillets.

Using a tablespoon, place the crab stuffing atop each filler and press down for even coverage on each fillet so they stay moist.

Cook as directed in recipe. And then add the yolk mayo topping. Mine was two yolks and 5 Tbs mayo, some fresh chopped parsley and paprika. Mix and incorporate.

Gently spoon the yolk topping onto each filler and bake the additional 6-7 minutes.

Serve with lime or lemon wedges. Either acid works. The fresh citrus acid really compliments the far from the butter and mayo in the crab stuffing mix.

Enjoy!

Swai? Baked? I invite you to the land of Mississippi delta farm raised fried catfish my treat. You’ll never swoon for swai again, promise.
We do like and enjoy catfish. Just had these fillets in the freezer as they come iqf. My fave white fish is Chilean sea bass. Cast iron seared in ghee with spg. It’s also like $24# these days so maybe 2x a year when serving a few people.

I’m sure this stuffing would go well in a stuffed catfish too.

Wife and I are planning a trip to the Big Easy. Food exploration and fun. And maybe a cruise too.

Back