Baked potatoes

Mitch T

TVWBB Member
Tomorrow, I'm doing 2 chuck roasts on the wsm, low heat (225), and I have some baked potatoes to go with them. Can anyone give me an idea how long for the potatoes, and should I foil them or just brush some olive oil and salt on them? Incidentally, chuck roast is on sale at Ralphs for $1.99/pound.

I LUUUUUV baked potatoes....now I guess all countries do them differently and I s'pose it depends on the Tater but I usually peel my potatoes (we call them SPUDS in Australia) and par boil them for about 20 minutes, pat dry with paper towel and slit the top of each potatoe about 3 times diagnally and just slightly open them up a little to let some oil & spice in, a good brush of your favourite oil on them all round then whatever spice you have..I tend to like a store bought cajun spice on my spuds or maybe a tuscan mix.
They need high heat to make them nice and crispy so I suggest about 375-400F for about 60-80 minutes...no foil..just place on the food grate indirect.I usually accompany them with good size peeled pumpkin chunks & Carrot halves oiled but no spices needed.
So while you're resting your chuck roasts, pump up the heat and bake the potatoes, by the time you've done that, about 2 hours should be up and your roasts ready to slice/pull etc.
These times are for the 22.5 inch kettle rather than the WSM.Enjoy!!

Cheers

Davo

I LOVE smoked potatoes. EVOO and sea salt. 2-3 hours. I don't foil as this will inhibit smoke penetration I would think.

Oh yeah, couple racks of ribs, couple smoked potatoes, and maybe even some smoked green bean casserole. Now that's an afternoon cook.

I usually just give 'em a scrub, dry, evoo, sprinkle of salt, and throw 'em in on top of a square of tin foil with about an hour and a half to go. If I forget and I'm running short of time then I'll stick a potato nail in it to speed it up.

It's pretty difficult to overcook a potato so figure about 1.5-2 hours when the smoker is at 225-245.

Russ

Thanks for all the help. I oiled them, sprinkled with garlic, wrapped in foil and ran them for 2 hours at 225. Could have gone just a little longer, but tasted great.

Back