Baked Beans Recipe

BenM

TVWBB Fan
A friend of mine sent this to me over the weekend. I made it to go with the smoked meatloaf and it is pretty damn tasty. Enjoy

• 2 cups navy beans
    • Salt
    • ½ pound slab bacon, cut into cubes
    • 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
    • ⅓ cup molasses
    • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Steps
    • Soak beans in a large bowl of water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain beans and put them in a large oven-safe pot with a heavy bottom and a tightfitting lid. Add 1 teaspoon salt and enough cool water to cover 2 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the beans are just tender, approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and remove beans.
    • Heat the oven to 250 degrees. Bring a kettle full of water to a boil on the stove. Return the heavy-bottomed pot to the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Cook the bacon in the bottom of the pot until it begins to brown, then turn off the heat and add the chopped onion and, on top of it, the beans. Mix together molasses, mustard and black pepper, and add the mixture to the pot. Pour in enough boiling water to cover beans, put the lid on and bake, occasionally adding more water to keep beans covered, until they are tender but not falling apart, 4 to 5 hours.
    • Remove beans from oven, uncover, stir and season with salt. With the lid off, return pot to oven and let beans finish cooking, uncovered and without additional water, until the sauce has thickened and the top is deeply crusty, about 45 minutes more.

BTW - I'll be making this Thursday night, along with some baby back ribs. I am using some of the Maat Church rubs for the first time

I didn't care for their rubs myself. I'll be doing 6 racks of bb , and beans, and one other side haven't decided yet along with Texas brownies over labor day weekend. Rubs I like are simply marvelous for the family. I use rib tickler and blues hog as well for my personal favs for ribs.

6 racks! Damn. Blues Hog I've heard of, Rib Tickler I have to check out. TY for the info. Enjoy the bb

Ben... Also check out Simply Marvelous rubs that Chad mentioned... Steph's rubs are excellent !

Back