Baked Apple

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
This morning I happened onto another site and found a thread that mentioned baked apples. It pointed back to the recipe here. That struck me as a good thing.

I picked up some Milky Ways early in the day. I had hopes of getting some apples at a farm I went to today, but did not. I ended up picking up a couple Granny Smiths and a couple Galas.

I cored them and filled with the Milky Ways and brown sugar. I wrapped these and tossed them onto the WSM at 200-225 for slightly over two hours.

The Granny Smiths turned to mush.
icon_frown.gif
The Galas held up. If anything, I would have thought it would be reversed.

I did peel the apples even though the recipe did not call for it.

The results were okay, but nothing I would rave about. I think a more traditional preparation would meet my taste buds better. Wife thought similarly.

I found a thread here from 2000 that someone said he would have preferred the apple and the candy separate. I agree. It's kind of how I have always looked at Mimosas too.
icon_wink.gif

apple.jpg

Looks good!

That reminds me of apples mom used to make .... pretty sure she used MacIntosh ... push the core out but otherwise leave it whole, stuffed with butter br sugar cinnamon and bake until the apples were soft.

Yeah, a little odd perhaps. The handheld apple pie version sounds good though. Hard to imagine how a melted candy bar would compliment an apple.

I have done this recipe before with different types of filling but the one that people go nuts about it Reese's peanut butter cups for a filling. I never peel the apples because I think it helps the apple to maintain its shape. Did you fully core the apple or did you make a "pocket" for the filling like the recipe called for?
Lance

Back