Bad connection, dying Pi?

JeremyDS

I have an old HM with RotoDamper that I think dates back to 2015 (at least that is when I registered for this board). Recently it has become very unreliable on the web interface and I lose my connection within 5-30 minutes of turning it on. The unit still controls the pit and I can track temperatures on the LCD display, but I miss the ability to look at the charts to see what happened while I was away/asleep. Since the temperature monitoring still works, I suspect the issue is on the RPI side and not on the HM side. To check this, I plugged a monitor into the Pi. Sure enough, when I lost connection through the web interface the monitor when black. I have attached a screenshot of the monitor shortly before it went dark in case there is anything useful there. Interestingly, doing a power cycle on the Pi did not help. There was no sign of activity on the monitor or blinking on the USB wifi dongle to indicate the computer was active.

Does it sound like I made the correct diagnosis that my RPI is dying? I suppose the other option is the memory card, but I would imagine the Pi loads everything it needs into RAM after booting.

If this is the issue, what are my options to fix things? I think this is a "B" version Pi (picture attached) which I would imagine are fairly scarce by now. Would my HM be compatible with a more recent Pi? If so, what model(s) should I look for?

As a final aside, I had to replace my phone recently and was disappointed to find out the PitDroid has disappeared from the (Android) App store. Are there any suitable replacements?HeatermeterScreen.jpgRaspberryPi.jpgHeatermeterFront.jpg

Last edited:

Back