Bad Byrons Butt Rub

Levi M

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought some of this a couple days ago and wondered what people thought of it here. I have not used it yet, but have read online that it is to salty and not to use a lot of it, or mix it 50-50 with sugar. Is it hot, salty? Normally I mix my own rub and apply it heavy, so I am afraid of using to much.

I never tried it, but the list of ingredients onion, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and chipotle (smoked jalapeno) are pretty basic pantry items. I would stick a finger in it and taste, if it's too salty than treat it like seasoned salt. Apply a light sprinkle on the meat than follow with your normal rub, but omit the salt if any.

Tim

I bought some of this a couple days ago and wondered what people thought of it here. I have not used it yet, but have read online that it is to salty and not to use a lot of it, or mix it 50-50 with sugar. Is it hot, salty? Normally I mix my own rub and apply it heavy, so I am afraid of using to much.

Yes, it is pretty salty. It also has a nice kick to it.

Step 1). Lick your finger
Step 2). Dip
Step 3). Lick your finger

Voila!

Thought I could save a few bucks instead of using my own rub recipe, its still sitting on my shelf, way to salty for my taste.

Thanks for the replies, I have family visiting right now so I will wait to try it after they leave.

I've heard it referred to as a "power rub" due to the saltiness and its used as a base and layered with sweeter rubs on Pork butts. No pantry should be without a bottle.

It's way too salty for me but I like the heat so I use it on pork and for every tbsp. I use I add a tbsp. of sugar.

Add some sugar to it if you are going to just use it. It can be really spicy too. I have used it adding sugar and was ok, you can add paprika too.

I love butt rub and use it on almost everything! I do a 3:1 ratio bbbr to brown sugar for butts and ribs.
CYMERA_20131102_074859_zps05d39eb5.jpg
here's a butt I did. Love the bark I get with butt rub! Salmon, whole chickens, pork chops, l've even put it on popcorn. Just try it on lots of things and see what you like. I've got it in the gallon size twice now. Yeah, I'm a fan!

Have a bottle and the family thought it was too spicey. So it's been sitting since then. Might have to give it another shot maybe mix it with another rub perhaps.

S. Six turned me on to Bad Byrons Butt Rub, I also love it. I also put it on fried eggs for breakfast. I've never thought that it tasted salty. But I also like salty foods so it's all about personal taste I guess.

I use it sometimes, it will add some kick to pork chops. It has some kick, but I don't think that it tastes too salty
like some here have said.

I've gone through a bottle, it's basically a slightly spicy seasoned salt. It's too salty for me if I use it with a heavy coating, but 50/50 with sugar is ok, or just got with a lighter coating.

When I finished the bottle, I made up a double-batch of Harry Soo's rub and put that in the bottle.

I've tried it a few times in competitions. Never did very well with it unless I gave it a good dose of Turbo to help balance it a bit.

Russ

Back