Bactoferm Mold 600

Originally posted by jason molinari:
Dave, yes, just string it and hang...i've done that with bresaola (beef). Just have to keep an eye out for case hardening.

As I get ready to hang my bresaola, Is there anything specific I can do to prevent this? Should it be less of an issue if hung at the proper humidity (~70%)? Should I mist it/wipe down every couple days with water?

Dave,
The correct humidity/temp is of course the best prevention to case hardening. What cut are you curing and is it "cased"? If not, I'd wrap it a couple layers of cheese cloth.

I'm hanging a couple tri tips, uncased. My curing chamber right now is fluctuating between 70 and about 88%

I was considering just tying it and hanging it bare like discussed on the last page but this is my first one so I don't have any experiences to hit against one way or another.

I started my tri on the first. It's been hanging bare in 50% rh. As of now, I'm at 68% of my original weight. If this comes out anything like the duck breasts I dried, I suspect the outside will be drier, but it evens out after a bit in a vac pack.

I would think you would be fine at your rh.

Back