BACON GREASE QUESTION

John Winner

TVWBB Member
HI ALL!

Got a question. I buy Maple bacon at Sam's all the time (try broiling it instead of frying, just turn halfway through...fantastic!) anyway, I usually put the grease in a jar because I am on septic and you don't put grease into a septic system (unless you want a very smelly house in the future!). What are some recipes that I can use this grease in since I kinda hate throwing out pounds of bacon fat?
icon_cool.gif

You can substitute some of the shortening or butter with bacon grease when you make bisquits. Use it to saute vegetables or fry eggs. On America's test kitchen they used a tablespoon or two added to chopmeat to help keep burgers moist.

(edit) Just saw this thread.....thread

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I did put a little in my hamburger last night (maple bacon fat) and it really gave it a nice flavor. The only problem was it definitely flares up on the grill more. Just have to pay attention and turmn more often. Have to try with biscuits as that does sound good.

Thanks Shawn,
Guess there a lot of things where you might use butter in cooking, instead use bacon grease. I will try all the suggestions posted (at least the ones that sound good).

That was going to be my suggestion. Anywhere that you would use butter, split 50/50 with the bacon grease. Or, just go all grease.

The wife keeps a specific container with it's own percelain spoon for bacon grease right next to the stove. We have two so that we can use one while the other goes through the dishwasher. We use it all the time.

Eggs in the nonstick. Onions or other veggies. Add it to ground brisket for some of the best burgers ever. The list goes on. It is a fat in its own right and a good one at that.

It should keep for the better part of a week or more (although we use ourse pretty quick) And it just sits on the counter. Not reffrigeration needed.

Happy cooking!

Thanks Scott, I am doing that with some things now (50/50) I refrigerate mine so it lasts a very long time. I will try with hamburgers from brisket but, my first brisket is this weekend! Wish me luck!

I think my #1 favorite use for bacon grease has to be homefries. Followed closely by scrambled eggs and pancakes.
icon_biggrin.gif

I like to make a roux with it for any recipe that needs a roux base. It is good for any frying at low temps. At high temps it will burn. I keep a container in the freezer at all times with leftover bacon grease. I never throw out this good stuff.

Back