Bacon Curing Questions

Aaron Kizer

I am curing pork belly with the Michael Ruhlman's method, but I had no maple syrup so I used dark Karo instead. Hope that was not a huge mistake.

My question is, should there be a lot of liquid curing the meat?

I feel like there is not a lot, at least not enough to cover the whole thing. It has only been curing for three days now, and I have been flipping it daily to make sure what liquid is there has a chance on both sides.

I just did the Ruhlman cure for the fourth or fifth time. Every time I do it, I get some liquid, but I also feel it is not enough to cover the whole belly. I flip mine every other day.

I've had no problems with any of the bacon. I wouldn't worry about it. I think you'll be fine.

You're good! Cured mine with maple syrup, sea salt (I din't have any pink), light brown sugar, and half cup apple juice, so I had liquid but not enough to cover. Turned mine twice a day. I like my bacon.

I'm not sure what the recipe is, but the curing process will pull some moisture out of the belly. I guess that's why you flip them every day.

Yep, what they said. The liquid that leeches out of the belly is because of the salt. It will not be enough to cover, and that's why you flip it, and that's why it's called "dry" curing.

Cheers,
Michael

Back