Bacon Cheeseburger anyone?

shervie

TVWBB Member
Bacon Cheeseburger anyone?

How about a Bacon Cheeseburger fattie?

Heck if can do a meatloaf, why not try it.

The Stuff

Forgot to get the 1 egg and Montreal steak seasoning out.

The Filling

And forgot to pick-up any shrooms
icon_frown.gif

Ready to go on

Temp shows 223F @ lid. Lousy pics, sorry, 10 yr old Kodak digital camera that cost me $600

At 150F internal

Yes, I forgot to foil the water pan. My bad.

2.5 hrs into it.

Dang glare. But I do love a remote thermometer.

Meat temp.

Brushed it with a tomato/brown sugar/dried mustard glaze and waited for 160f.

Hanging out for 10 mins.

Sliced. Note to self here, add more stuffing and DON’T FORGET THE MUSHROOMS!

Cut a couple of small rolls in halve and for Byran S, spread abit of chipotle mayonnaise.
Lunch served, “The Shervie Slyder”

What I learned:
1} This was my first semi-long cook with lump. I use lump to grill all the time just not in the WSM. I’m sure it was to do with the quality of it but man it burns fast. The only readily available lump I can find is this . Just over ½ a ring was out in 3 plus hours.
Answer: Error to the side of more then you think.

2) And I knew this, ground beef dries out easily. Even though I mixed in some ketchup and worrsie it was a bit dry. I think it mainly was the fact to fuel was running very low,
I had to keep too long in the smoker it get to 160F. Answer: (see above)

3} I’m getting older and forgot too much stuff, i.e. mushrooms, foil the water pan, set stuff out for cool pics like you guys do, etc. Answer: Ain’t got one.

Bottom line: Pretty darn good.

Wow that looks amazing, though I think I'd be tempted just to take a small loaf of Italian bread and make a sandwich of the whole thing!
icon_biggrin.gif

Did you use ground chuck?

Looks delicious! IF you are concerned about the drying out, mix your meat 75% beef, 25% pork. The pork fat keeps it moist, and of course, flavor. I can tell you right now, I haven't done enough fatties...I need to get in gear and do a couple of those suckers here pretty quick. Loves me a meatloaf sammich!

Originally posted by Ken_K:

Did you use ground chuck?

Yes 80/20 chuck

KenP, yes it was quite good.

Mike R. Hind sight is 20/20. I could of put some ground pork in there or maybe use 75/25 beef mixture but hell, I didn't even remember the shrooms.

Looks really good Mark, and cool idea going for the bacon cheeseburger theme'd fattie. Looks like you used that fattie rolling methodyou linked the other day, and acheived a "no leak" fattie. I will have to try that next time.

Just an idea, maybe if you partially cooked some of the bacon (so theres still a good amount of fat on it) and stuffed it inside, it may help with the moisture too...just thinking out loud.

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
Looks really good Mark, and cool idea going for the bacon cheeseburger theme'd fattie. Looks like you used that fattie rolling methodyou linked the other day, and acheived a "no leak" fattie. I will have to try that next time.

Just an idea, maybe if you partially cooked some of the bacon (so theres still a good amount of fat on it) and stuffed it inside, it may help with the moisture too...just thinking out loud.

Brandon

Yes Brandon, I used the ziploc bag and cellophane trick on it. Worked great. The par-cooked bacon inside may have helped but I like my bacon crispy. I think the because I was running low on fuel, its just wasnt hot enough and stayed on to long. Next time, I'll have enuf lump or do it on the OTG

Originally posted by shervie:
and for Byran S, spread abit of chipotle mayonnaise.
God love you. Pics look great man!
icon_cool.gif

Some thoughts. For using burger, I'd go high heat, 300º-325º that would help out in the drying out part. I like to use 70-30 for meat loaf and burgers, but can't really find it anymore. 73-27 is as low as they go round these parts anymore. Grinding your own from a brisket point works very, very well for higher fat content ground beef. Shrooms would def help some, and a few pats of butter mixed in as well if stuck with 80-20 ground beef mix. You could also look for the meatloaf mix with equal parts beef, veal, and pork. Anyway, makes my mouth water looking at the pics, nice job. You had me at bacon.
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks like a heart attack waiting to happen but who cares...that thing looks great. I need to make one, maybe when the wife is outa town. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Tony, sorry about your Colts. My son is a fan and he was bummin.

Back