Back to healthy from all that red meat last week

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Feeling the need to lighten it all up. Too much red meat for me last week.

So the return of a family favorite. A tour of the Med.

1F0A5961-7A9F-43A0-B3A1-F27EF150026B.jpegA2295429-B547-4061-B88C-7BE4CA979205.jpeg

Attachments

• 75381FF7-FEBA-484E-9378-1E2E3B2A5C5D.jpeg
    75381FF7-FEBA-484E-9378-1E2E3B2A5C5D.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D6B556A8-6C7C-4B99-AAD3-F25A912F479E.jpeg
    D6B556A8-6C7C-4B99-AAD3-F25A912F479E.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Looks phenomenal and exactly what my family likes! Please share any recipe ideas you can.
Thank you and sure. Here goes:

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts each cut into approximately 8 piece per breast.

Larger breast chunks fare well as they’re more durable when using semi-direct heat.

Prep grill with an even layer of hot coals, no more than 1.5 layers thick. This way you’re not throwing too much heat onto your entire cook/grate.

For the chicken marinade:
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Granulated garlic
Dried oregano
Dried Aleppo pepper (Sadaf brand is my goto for many Mediterranean spices as they’re excellent quality and certified kosher, which means they’re clean)
Lemon juice - a fair amount so it’ll penetrate the cut chicken chunks
EVOO - I use a high quality one for its flavor

Cut chicken and place in a large vessel and add the seasonings, lemon juice and EVOO and mix it all well.

Marinate in the fridge covered for at least 6 hours but not more than 12. If you’re using a lot of lemon juice, a longer marinating time will make the chicken mushy. You don’t want Ceviche here; you’re just trying to build flavor😆

Place the chicken and any veggies you like on the grill. Keep the chicken towards a cooler part of the grill where you’ve placed fewer coals. This way your breasts will be juicy. Yup, I just went there 😂😂😂

Place 8-10 fresh sprigs of rosemary atop your chicken and veggies. Cook for 6-7 minutes. My cook temp was around 350°.

Flip your chicken and veggies and work to get the rosemary onto the grates and food on top of the rosemary. This method allows the rosemary to release its oils onto the chicken without burning it. Your grill will smell very aromatic and you too (undocumented feature).

Your neighbors might peer over the fence asking, “hey, what are you cooking because it smells amazing.” Feel free to ignore any neighbors that don’t offer you alcohol in exchange for your reply.

Your chicken is done when it probes to 156-160°, around 6-8 minutes later. Avoid going over 165° as that’s when your breasts become unjuicy. And who wants unjuicy breasts?

I forgot to add, I like to cut and grill 4 lemon halves. A little char on them makes em even better. I squeeze the cooked lemons onto the chicken right before serving. It gives a flavor boost and some extra moisture to your chicken.

I skipped what veggies to use as that’s your call. I do like grilled tomatoes as they taste great and add a lot of flavor and texture to rice, if you’re making some.

Let me know if you have any questions. Overall this is a simple recipe but the technique is what makes it taste great. People usually overcook and serve dry breasts. I just like big, and juicy ones. 🤭

Last edited:
Cooks that fast even at 350? No wonder my chicken is awful. I always overcook chicken. Even if i do chicken in butter. Still make it dry.
You need an instant read thermometer. It’ll help you avoid the overtemping your bird. White meat cooks quickly and this is cooked lid down. The E6 really holds temps well. I’m pretty sure I had the veggies off first and then the chicken was done at the 12-13 minute mark for the thinner pieces. The thicker ones went the distance.

Cooks that fast even at 350? No wonder my chicken is awful. I always overcook chicken. Even if i do chicken in butter. Still make it dry.
You should learn using boneless thighs. More forgiving and they’re done at 170-175°. The extra fat in them will save you.

Chicken cooked right is a masterpiece. Especially if you’re doing half chickens. Crispy skin and tender meat. And with coal flavor, they’re incredible.

Watch Thomas Keller chicken videos on YouTube. He is the Master. And I’ve eaten at a few of his restaurants here in CA. The man is genius. And Jacques Pepin too. I grew up learning from his TV shows. He’s a national treasure.

Back