Babybacks on the Searwood

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
I had a free weekend so I smoked some babybacks in the Searwood. I did about 45 minutes of Smoke boost then smoked the ribs at 275 for about 4 hours. Turned out well, but I probably will either lower the temp or cut back to time because the ribs were almost too tender as they were falling apart when I took them off. The next day I make some wings. Then did a deep clean of the Searwood that only took about 5 minutes, including using the shop vac.

1729632905666.png
1729632932040.png

1729632969379.png

Everything there looks REALLY good to me. Re temps I usually raise the temps after running them on "Super Smoke" but not 275. I don't go over 250 and not even that high unless I want to "rush" them a little. Normally I just pop them off the 165 to 235 and let them finish like that. No wrapping, no spritzing, sometimes I hit them with some BBQ Sauce. I've grown quite fond of Kinders Black Cherry/Chipotle

I've actually tried something very different the last 2X I've done ribs. I do a VERY light coating of the Black Cherry Chipotle. then my good ol' S&P and on the smoke. Close to the end I shellac on a final coating of the Black Cherry Chipotle until done. Holy Cow does it ever turn out good. But again, I never take it (the grill) over 250, so there is no "burning". The coatings just turn to a nice sticky sweet/hot and gotta tell ya it's incredible! I think if you're someone who likes to do ribs hotter/faster the technique will not work well as the sugars will caramelize and burn. But, give it a whirl on a rack. I think you will be amazed

How long have you had your searwood? Which size? What do you think so far?

I have had it for about a month now, it is the smaller one. I have put it to work since I got it. I have made pizzas, salmon, pork ribs, wings, roasted veggies, beef ribs, etc. I have done a lot of cooking on it. I love it. It is quick to come up to temp, it is very efficient with the pellets, cleaning has been very easy and fast, the grease catch actually works well, and the side hopper means I don't have pellets all over the ground or wedged within the cooker itself. I have purposely tried to vary the cooks to find out what it can and cannot do well. I haven't found anything that it doesn't do well yet.

I do think that the front table is pretty essential to it and should have come with it. This time they made the front and side tables black and SOLID which will help with longevity of those items.

Everything there looks REALLY good to me. Re temps I usually raise the temps after running them on "Super Smoke" but not 275. I don't go over 250 and not even that high unless I want to "rush" them a little. Normally I just pop them off the 165 to 235 and let them finish like that. No wrapping, no spritzing, sometimes I hit them with some BBQ Sauce. I've grown quite fond of Kinders Black Cherry/Chipotle

Yes, next time I will just go with 250. I was watching college football and wanted to rush it a bit. I did no wrapping or spritzing this time. Turned out well but would be even better at 250 vs 275.

Back