Baby Backs / Beef Backs

Robert Fox

TVWBB Member
I'm doing a combo cook on Sunday - Baby Back Ribs and (for the first time) Beef Back Ribs. Should it matter which ones go on the top rack and which ones go on the bottom rack? I'm going to start cooking the Baby Backs about 2 hours after I start the Beef Ribs as I know from this site that the Beef Ribs will take a couple hours longer to cook.

Thanks in advance for your help .....

Both have a good bit of fat so you should get good drippings either way on the lower rack. I think I would put the BB on top since you'll be taking them off sooner and will be less disruptive to the cook.

I would plan on the beef ribs going 2 to 3 hours longer than the BB. If you want them to finish closer, you might consider foiling the beef ribs after 3 hours or so for an hour. In that case, it might be better to have the beef ribs on top, for convenience in foiling. Just a thought.

Good luck and enjoy your cook.

Paul

Robert,
Sorry I can't help with your question (never done beef ribs), but will you let us know how the beef ribs turn out? Pictures would be great. Thanks.

Will do Jerry - I'm following the 'Yum-Yum' recipe / procedure to the tee as found here on TVWBB. I'm looking forward to the results myself !!!

I do Beef Back Ribs exactly like my pork ribs and cook them the same time. I like my ribs (both) a little tougher, I like to gnaw the meat off the bone, not have it fall off while buttering my corn (no dirty joke intended).

Remember that Beef ribs are a quite good cut of meet - it is part of the rib roast, the prime rib and the rib eye steak.

They are fabulous, if you can get them.

Regards
El Penguini

Well, I probably should have done them the way Peter O does his. Mine were WAY over-cooked (7 hours @ 225-250) and crunchy ! Taste wise they were actually pretty good.

A big part of the problem was the fact I was not around to baste or rotate them. I will definitely try them again however, and give them the attention they deserve .....

Hi Robert
I *never* leave the area when doing ribs, I find they need alot of attention and careful timing. Everytime I've wandered off with ribs on the BBQ I wished that I had not. Since water will evaporate out before the fat, I find a few squirts of apple juice after they start to get some colour keeps em pretty moist.

Even the crunchy dried out ribs we're revived in the oven, though. Double wrap in foil and add a bit of jiuce or stock ~50 ml or so, and cook fairly hot (350*F) for 15 minutes then turn the temp down (250*F) and let it go for another 15-20 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it sit for another 15 minutes, then re-sauce/glaze or whatever (mix whatever liquid is left with your glaze/sauce).

hth
morgan

morgan

I have not had the same problems with tending my ribs. My bigger problem is getting my WSM to settle out at the right temp. I _never_ use any additonal liquids or foil during cooking. I think it tends to steam the ribs instead of smoke them. At the end, I will foil them for about 30 minutes, before I slice, grill and sauce them.

Back