Baby Backs: 3-2-1 or 2-2-1?

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
I have a couple of Baby Back slabs in the refrigerator with rub on them for the football games tomorrow--go Chargers.

Anyway, I haven't cooked any spectacular baby backs so far on my WSM. I don't think I've cooked them sufficiently yet in three attempts. I want to try foil this time to make sure they pass the tear test.

I believe the 3-2-1 rule applies to beef ribs and not Baby Backs (3 hours cooking, 2 hours foil, 1 hour with foil removed). I'm thinking the 2-2-1 method might be better at a 230-240 lid temperature. I know every cook is different but I would appreciate some advise here by the pros.......

Jeff, the 321 method applies to spareribs. If you using that method with babybacks, it'll be overcooked. I usually like to smoke babybacks for 2.5-3 hours (look at the color of the ribs, they should have a deep bronze color) , cover it in foil for 1-1.5 hour and then remove the foil and smoke for another 30-45 minutes. This is at a lid temp. at around 250. The ribs always come out great. If you want them to be falling off the bone, you can keep it inside the foil for a little longer.

Erik

I've found that even an hour in foil can be too long for baby backs.

Usually, my process goes as follows:

Wrap in foil when the color gets "right"....usually around 2.5 - 3 hours. The ribs will be near toothpick tender.

Add a bit of apple juice in foil, and leave in wsm for 30-45 minutes. The ribs will be toothpick tender at this point.

Ramp up temps (open bottom vents wide open), unwrap ribs for 15-30 minutes....apply glaze at very end.

Every cook is a little different, especially with baby backs.

JMO.

I start off around 240 lid.....or wherever the temps settle.....

When I ramp up, temps will get to around 300 at the end, IMO it just helps firm up the ribs a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Haneman:
When you foil, how much juice are you putting in with the baby backs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When I do mine like that I put about 1/4C in.

You have a reference point (previous cooks). Perhaps foil these baby backs for 30 - 60 minutes no juice and see what that does to them. Then try juice next time and you can compare that to no foil and foiled no juice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
You have a reference point (previous cooks). Perhaps foil these baby backs for 30 - 60 minutes no juice and see what that does to them. Then try juice next time and you can compare that to no foil and foiled no juice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good point. I've only done it once or twice, meat side down.

I've been pretty happy with the BRITU ribs on this site. That does not call for wrapping the ribs in aluminum foil. Has anyone tried incorporating foil wrapping with the BRITU?

I haven't done BRITU. I used to foil for no more than one hour, usually less, but lately I haven't foiled and the results have been fine. The ribs are moist and juicy. I found foiling to be a real PITA, so I tried cooking without doing it and I'm satisfied. Prolongs the cook a bit, but I'm never in a rush. Baby backs seem to be about a 5 hour cook and that's ok with me. JMO

I pretty much only foil if I want to add a flavor layer; if not, I don't bother. I cook backs at 325-350 so if I fol it's about 90 min in, then foil and cook till tender, maybe 20-30 min more, tops. I only return the unfoiled ribs to the cooker for a few min, maybe 5-7. At high temps they need no more.

Meat side up in the foil.

Why meat side up? If you are trying to impart flavors, shouldn't the meat be in the juices or flavors that you are trying to impart? As loin back ribs curve, no meat will be in the flavor?

FWIW I always put meat side down in the foil. That is for spares and for loin backs. As I believe that it imparts more flavor to the meat doing them this method.

I definately think that 6 hrs is far too long for BB ribs. The biggest problem I have with BB ribs is the lack of meat on ours up here. Every once in a while I can find some decent 2lb+ racks, but most places sell ones that are lucky to be 1-1/2lb. If you have meaty ribs they will take a bit longer then the skimpy ones I seem to get. I have had many BB that come off in under 5 hrs at 250 lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I pretty much only foil if I want to add a flavor layer; if not, I don't bother. I cook backs at 325-350 so if I fol it's about 90 min in, then foil and cook till tender, maybe 20-30 min more, tops. I only return the unfoiled ribs to the cooker for a few min, maybe 5-7. At high temps they need no more.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been intrigued by your High Heat rib cooks... I will have to try. Don't you find you crisp the edges and bottoms too much??

I prefer a 3-2-1 cook for baby backs, but don't know if its b/c of their size or what? I typically cook 3 or 4 slabs, 2.5 lbs per slab, and have found that 1 - 1.5 hrs in foil do not get the ribs 'falling off the bone' tender (at 225-230F). I always leave in foil for 2 hours, and they are practically falling apart when I sauce--that's just how my family and friends like it I guess.

As for positioning the meat in foil, I've always cooked meat side up, b/c I apply about a 1/4 - 1/2 cup apple juice in the foil packet, and I don't want the juice washing away the spice rub. Plus I would think 2 hours plus wrapped in foil, meat side down in the juice, would make the rib meat too mushy.

Scottie-- Because I don't want to cook off the bark I go with meat up. I use juices I've reduced so the flavor concentrates. Heat and steam take care of flavor transfer.

Scooter-- No. Never had crisp edges.

I've always found that once the rub adheres to the meat, you don't have any problems with it washing off. Now if it didn't adhere, I sure wouldn't be throwing it into an aluminum foil bath with a 1/2 C. of anything.

I also do not put that much liquid in my foil. While I do not reduce, mine are very concentrated flavors. I find that those flavors transfer better in the "bath" and not the steam. But this is BBQ and there are many ways to get to the finish line. Never heard of that method though.

tHanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Meat side up in the foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice Kevin. I've never cooked ribs at 350 before. I like the idea of a two hour cook.

When you have time could you give us step by step instructions on your favorite Baby Back method/recipe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jeff, the 321 method applies to spareribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is false. Stogie came up with the 3-2-1 for BB's cooked at 225º, no higher. If you're cooking higher than 225º, then yes 2 hrs in foil will be way too long. Depending on how you like your ribs... YMMV

Back