Baby Back Ribs in Boston

John G.

TVWBB Member
Anyone out there from the Boston area, or anywhere in New England for that matter?

If so, I'm looking for a butcher or meat market to get GOOD baby back ribs where the prices aren't outrageous. I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere, so if you have a suggestions I'd like to hear it.

I called all over the place today, but the cheapest price I could find was $5.89/lb. I was quoted as high as $6.99/lb. I like ribs, but I just can't justify paying that much for them...

Thanks for any tips.

You think spares are as good?

I did them once, it was actually my first cook on the WSM, and didn't think they came out that good. I've been a little gun shy since then.

My understanding is, if you're gonna smoke ribs, make em spares. The baby backs and country style ribs are finer cuts of meat that don't gain alot by smoking. Grilled, w/wood is the recommended method. Whereas spares, being a cheaper and tougher cut of meat really take advantage of the whole smoking process. (of course none of this is written in stone, do what pleases you) Plus it was your first cook on a new smoker, give yourself and the spares another chance. You won't regret it!

Btw ... trimmed spares (sternum and ends removed but included in package) are running about $1.89 lb at the local markets. (StL area)
Sams would be cheaper yet.

Rick

Babybacks gained in popularity, it seems, when chain restaurants (Applebee's, Fridays, Chili's, et.al.) started pushing them as authentic barbecue several years ago. Until recently you couldn't find them here where I live in the country--no one that smokes around here takes them seriously. But we've had quite the influx of people that have moved here from the coastal cities and now you see a few in the supermarkets but not at the butchers.

Regardless, it's a matter of personal preference. Spares are more substantial, obviously, because they're larger, but I also think they're more flavorful. You can treat them the same smoking-wise, the bb will take less time to cook since they're smaller.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John G.:
You think spares are as good?

I did them once, it was actually my first cook on the WSM, and didn't think they came out that good. I've been a little gun shy since then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only do spares. Were yours enhanced? My fist spares were enhanced and tasted like Ham
icon_frown.gif
Also if you use a rub high in salt and put it on the night before can give them a hammy/off taste. I no longer apply the rub the night before on anything. I just put it on right before it goes on the smoker. And did you remove the membrane from them? Also go easy on the smoke wood. Doesn't take much for ribs.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I used to cook nothing but babybacks. They are generally a more tender cut than spares and take less time to prep before a cook. BUT, the taste is far better than back ribs.

I had a hard time cooking spares my first few times. Hang in there though and you'll get the hang of it. Cooks generally range in the 6 - 8 hour range so have some patience as an undercooked spare will generally be tough.

With spares down to around $1.79/lb here in NJ I can cook a nice rack of spares for around five bucks. My family used to eat nothing but back ribs - since I got the smoker they've been converts and always pick spares over the back ribs.

Hi all. Thanks for all the comments. I guess I'm going to have to give the spares another try. They only cost $1.79/lb at the local supermarket.

My first spares weren't enhanced, but I didn't remove the membrane. I did them before I found this site. Also, I think I probably used to much smoke wood.

John G.

If you decide to give the Babybacks a try, check out one of the wholesale clubs. BJ's in Va has the cryovac pack for $3.69/lb.

BB are the top of the rib bone and has loin attached, loins is good but doesn't have as much flavor as spares.
BB will be less expensive if you can find a wholesale supply or resturant supplier.

Spares take longer to cook but worth the effort.

John there are a number of threads on doing spares but for a quick review, smoke for aprox 3 hours (i'm looking for good color) at this point place the ribs in foil (add some pineapple juice to the package). Put on the cooker for aprox 1 hour.Remove from foil and put back on cooker for 45 min to 1 hour.Glaze the last 15 min. The test for done is to slide a toothpick in the meat between the bones, if it feels like it's sliding through butter they are done.
If you want falling off the bones leave them in the foil for 1 1/2 hours or longer and they will be very tender.
BB can be done this way also just cut back on times.

Jim

Rick, country style ribs are actually just pork butt sliced to look like ribs, so you surely could do 'em low and slow (but they still ain't gonna be ribs when you're done...!).

I just cook 'em on the stove with lots o'sauerkraut and serve 'em up with lots of mashed potatoes. Goooood stuff!

Rick:

I bought baby back ribs this morning at Coostco in Danvers for $3.99/lb. They were in a package made up at the local store, 2 racks to a package, but each rack was cut in half.

John

If you watch the sales in the Carolinas, you can find baby backs for $2.99/lb. Winn Dixie is where I wind up getting mine usually.

I get mine from BJ's warehouse in Danvers. I get them for $3.79 lb. and they sell them in 6 to 9 lb. packs. They also have spares for $1.89 lb. Both types are cryo wrapped and I've been pretty impressed with the quality.

Country style ribs up here sure don't look like butt in any way or form. They also are the cheapest out of all the ribs. I've cooked them in the WSM a few times and they are my favorite rib out of the three, BB, spares, and country style. Don't discount them they are great done on a WSM. I cook them at 225 for around 3 hours, foil for around a hour or hour and a half, then sauce and put back on for almost an hour.

Ok, here are some more takes on what country style ribs are:

From TVWB: "Country-style ribs are either split pork chops from the blade end of the loin, or they're cut from the shoulder closest to the loin. Good eating, but not true ribs to most people."

From hormel.com
"Country-Style Ribs

The blade end of the pork loin consisting of a section that is actually not ribs, but is instead rib-like chops. Occasionally, beef ribs may be referred to as country ribs; however, county-style ribs generally refer to pork instead of beef."

And from mealsforyou.com
"Pork Loin Country-Style Ribs

Pork loin country-style ribs are made by splitting the blade end of loin into halves lengthwise. The ribs contain part of the loin eye muscle and either rib bones or backbones. They are usually prepared by roasting, baking, braising, broiling, grilling, or by cooking in liquid."

And from bigdaddyskitchen.com
"Country style ribs are actually not ribs at all, but are cut from the blade end of the loin, right behind the upper portion of the shoulder butt, and before the baby backs. They are more like fatty pork chops than ribs. While they have more fat per pound than any of the other styles of ribs, the fat is in layers and the meat between those layers is leaner and less marbled than most other ribs. They are the meatiest of all the ribs."

Yeah, I really don't know where they are cut from. I guess a rib like chop describs them best. Looks like alot of different things are called country style ribs. The ones I get smoke very well and are very tasty. I'd sugest giving them a try on the WSM they are great.

Only occasionally do I do country style ribs, but I have found, without exception, that what I get, labeled as such, follows the bigdaddyskitchen.com definition above. The sections of bone they contain, are not rib bones in any sense of the word, but rather from blade bones.

Back