baby Back BRITU question

Thad Raz

When doing baby back's with the BRITU method, do you find it necessary to brine before hand? Curious to the effects that this may or may not have.

Thanks.

You would probably end up with the dreaded "ham on a stick". I can't really think of a reason to brine ribs.

Damn cooks illustrated recommends it. A brief brine for an hour before rubbing. I thought I had everything worked out in terms of my weekend cook but then I had to go and read other recipes.

An hour is a very short brine. Maybe try half brined and half not, and see if you perceive a difference. Be sure to note, however, that one of the more common complaints about first time BRITU is from those who overlook the instruction to give just an "overall dusting" with the rub-- it has a lot of salt, and too much can overpower other variations you might experiment with.

I've never brined and love the way my ribs turn out. Bryan's advice is excellent - go easy on the rub.

Ray

I think the only meat I would really consider brining is Chicken. This puts a bit more moisture in as well as it can draw some of the "bloody" color from dark meat.

I tend to think that a "quick" brine really won't have the time to do much to ribs and therefore isn't worth your while... it's just more mess to clean up.

Definately be wary of how much salt is in your rub. I don't mind a healthy portion of salt, but my wife is far more sensitive to it.

I would not brine ribs. It's not necessary at all. If you don't overcook them they will be very moist and tender without brining.
icon_smile.gif

Okay, cool. Thanks for the information about the brine.

One more question: Would you marinate or just rub the night before and in what? What's your favorite method to prepare baby back?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thad Raz:
One more question: Would you marinate or just rub the night before and in what? What's your favorite method to prepare baby back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rub.

What are you planning to use?

A quick brine would work for backs but it isn't at all necessary. Commercial backs are a somewhat lean (to me) but, still, I don't brine.

I only marinate backs if the results I'm looking for are not what one would think of as 'barbecue'.

I don't rub more than 10-15 min before they go in the smoker. I cook at ~325. Sometimes I foil after 90 min or so (with a little juice blend or juice-stock blend), and cook till just tender while in the foil at higher temps; other times I don't bother foiling at all.

My two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thad Raz:
One more question: Would you marinate or just rub the night before and in what? What's your favorite method to prepare baby back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rub.

What are you planning to use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My original plan was to follow the BRITU recipe completely. Then, while reading through numerous posts, I found that everyone has varying methods their cooks. It can get confusing. I feel more and more that the best way to do it is to keep it simple, but still being new to this I am easily distracted by other instructions (like brining, marinading, rubbing in advance, etc.) I feel like I may need to put on my blinders.

My other question is when doing the BRITU method do you incorporate any of the 3-2-1 method or is this not best choice for baby backs. Or is there maybe a time that you decide to do this during the cook?

There is nothing about the BRITU approach I like (method, rub, sauce), nor do I like 3-2-1 as a method. Others feel differently.

Pick one approach and try it. Then pick another. If you're new to this, combining methods can be confusing so don't. Try different approaches on different cooks and see what one(s) you like.

Kevin,

Found your pork rub on here. It sounds amazing, I will be using it this weekend.

I also like that you salt before rub application. That just makes so much sense.

Any other words of advice?

None other than those above. Pick a cooking approach and try it and see what you think. That will give you a basis from which to work for the next cook. It takes time, thought and multiple cooks, altering variables here and there as you proceed, in order to figure out then refine the methods you prefer.

I want to go sauceless but I am sure that there will be requests for sauce, so, what is a recommended sauce accompaniment for the metamorphosis rub?

Could I do a simple oyster sauce base cut with stock, the rub and sourwood honey? I feel like the oyster sauce could help bring out the pepper tones. Although I could definitely be wrong.

Hmm. I am not one to mix food metaphors. Oyster sauce reads as Asian to me (like soy, which I never use for non-Asian recipes). Your preference though.

Were it me, I'd likely serve a thin, simple vinegar sauce on the side (I always serve sauceless, sauce on side) and, for those who like thicker, more typical sauces, probably a KC-style, or perhaps something fruitier, like a cherry sauce (I am a big fan of fruit, smoke and meat as a combo). Another, tomato-based but simpler, would be Steve's No. 5 sauce.

Though I never sauce ribs while they cook, I do like a sauce or two (sometimes three) on the side for drizzling/dipping. I am a fan of complex flavors so tend to go that route with one or two, and make another of the simple variety.

Just a thought.

Back