Babi Guling Pulled Pork

Randy G

TVWBB Fan
I made my favorite recipe from this wonderful site for a BBQ party a few weeks ago.

6 lbs of bone in Boston Butt butterflied & salted.

8726AE65-BDAD-4431-A4AF-3CA946D30494.jpeg

I prepared this amazing spice mixture in the food processor. Over the years, I’ve concluded that I like the mixture a little thicker because it produces a crunchier bark.

D479D1AA-B7E3-4F0B-86F7-13B22D44021F.jpeg

Prepped and ready to spread it on.

607DB57B-E6C0-428D-8051-702F6D63B50D.jpeg

Rubbed the butt completely. Now it’s just ready to be tied up.

667E3990-D50E-4099-9595-71B2A29A5CB8.jpeg

I need to improve my butcher knot skills but for this recipe, it just needs to hold together.

C9343F72-4BF0-4672-A57D-F28D8DC181DB.jpeg

This butt took almost 10+ hours on the BGE. All the Thermoworks tools to keep it dialed in.

AAC67370-1136-4431-BD06-986BF9DF2643.jpeg

Since I cooked it the day before the BBQ party, I pulled it, bagged it in a sous vide bag, and shocked it in a cooler filled with ice and water. After an hour, it firmed up and cooled. I kept it in the fridge until the BBQ party.

3179E0AC-0A06-4A55-BFC5-296FA01F151E.jpeg

Reheated the bag the day of the event in the sous vide at 145°. I don’t think I lost any quality and no one got sick. Win all around.

Made a second batch of the sauce from the recipe to mix it in when I pulled after reheating.

There was plenty of sauce and juice in the bag to from the reheat.

Kept it warm sitting over the sous vide in the in tin foil pan. It certainly didn’t dry out this way.

F67F6DEE-74CF-4CD2-87EE-B5202CD3E61A.jpeg

Served it on Hawaiian rolls with siracha mayo, chopped Thai chilies, Asian pickles and mixed herbs of Thai basil, mint and cilantro.

Last edited:
I’m not going to lie Brett. Compared to a basic simple pork butt, it’s a ton of work. But, it is a labor of love.
it's just the rub. i have access to all those ingredients in a single market so it looks reasonably simple; ingredients into blender and then rub, tie and rub more. then low and slow with probes. we enjoy a lot of asian flavored foods so this looks like it'll fit in easily. thanks for the heads up though. much appreicated!

Last edited:
it's just the rub. i have access to all those ingredients in a single market so it looks reasonably simple; ingredients into blender and then rub, tie and rub more. then low and slow with probes. we enjoy a lot of asian flavored foods so this looks like it'll fit in easily. thanks for the heads up though. much appreicated!
Watch out for the Thai Chiles too. Years ago when I first made it, I made it so spicy only fire eaters could stomach it.

Thanks for the post and pics. I've had this on my list of things to try for a few years now.

Did you make/use the seasoned coconut milk mopping sauce?

Thanks for the post and pics. I've had this on my list of things to try for a few years now.

Did you make/use the seasoned coconut milk mopping sauce?
I did. My preference over time has been to make a second batch of the sauce to use when pulling the pulled pork. I don’t make that as sweet generally. Whatever is left I put, I put in a quiet bottle and leave out with the condiments.

Back