B&B lump: fireworks show

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I usually use Stubb's briquets, but I was grilling steak and shrimp tonight so grabbed some B&B oak lump at Academy.

This stuff sparked like mad for a good 15 minutes in the chimney. Once it settled to a semi-normal flame, I dumped it in the grill.

Lump is supposed to be hot, but this was quite gentle despite the earlier fireworks that made me think it had gunpowder in it.

The steak took quite a bit to get done, but it turned out great. Kind of like reverse sear, it was tender from edge to edge.

Had I used a can of Stubb's, it would have been hot as Hades in the grill.

Anyone else have experience with B&B? Does it always spark up so crazily?

Pics after more than 10 minutes of being lit with one Weber cube below the chimney.

Hey did you get a fireworks permit with that stuff? Nice show. I have had sparks with Cowboy before,
but never like yours.

Wow, the only time I've seen lump do that is when I used Kingsford lump, and I dont even know if Kingsford makes lump anymore.

I've used two bags of B&B oak lump over the past few months and was impressed with its lack of sparking. From your pictures, I'd say you were photographing the mesquite lump that I often use.
Wish I had a better answer.

Wow - quite the show! I made the mistake of dumping a chimney of lump into the kettle while wearing flip-flops... I'll never do that again!

I re-checked the bag to make sure I did not get mesquite by mistake. It says oak, but maybe they put the wrong stuff in it?

It also had an odd smell, almost medicinal, during the first few minutes.

I don't know what I will do with it. May be $20 down the drain.

Chris, looks like it probably was mesquite, but regardless of brand or wood type, lump is prone to sparking and sending shrapnel flying. I've seen all different brands occasionally or not so occasionally do it, though maybe only once or twice to the extent as in your photo. If B&B is still around the same price though, I think it's over-priced. Lowes has a much better price on the Cowboy lump, and it's not the same stuff that got that brand a bad reputation. With the B&B lump you bought though, you might try just pouring the lump on the grate and use a couple of starter cubes to light. The other day, instead of starting in a chimney, I used my Performer burner to light half a grate's worth for a reverse sear on steaks, and it worked great. Or you might just take the rest of the bag back to Academy and show 'em your pic. In any case, be careful playing with fire!

I'm w/ Dave and think it's Mesquite, smell and spark evidence. I've been through 3-4 bags of B&B oak and love it, low spark and mild smoke flavor.

Second chimney used from the bag did not spark nearly as much. Maybe a very spark-prone piece of mesquite got mixed in and landed in the first chimney

Back