Awesome recipe...Jerk paste.

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I got this recipe out of Dr. BBQ's Big Time bbq cookbook. I've had jerk before, but this recipe is incredible. The tastes in this are so...tropical but totally barbeque...enlivening...life affirming...you get the picture
icon_smile.gif
. It really is a great change from your regular rub/sauce. I've been using it on chicken thighs, but the cookbook says jamaicans eat it on fish, pork, and chicken. Try it!

Traditional Jerk Paste
By Ray Lampe in "Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook"

4-6 Scotch Bonnet peppers* (habaneros work well, seeds and stems removed)
1 C chopped scallions
1 C chopped onion
2 t. salt
2 t. allspice
2 t. dried thyme (I use 1 t. fresh)
1 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
2 tbs. olive oil

Comibine all the ingredients in a blender and puree.

*I can handle hot food, but 4 habaneros is too much for me. Try 2 if you like spicy food.

[I usually let them sit, covered in the marinade, in a zip lock back for 3 hours before indirect grilling in WSM (or other) at about 375 for 35 mins].

Thanks for posting Phil. I've got some habaneros in the fridge right now, waiting for a jerk recipe. Good timing.

Was planning chicken and pork shoulder this weekend. Maybe I'll try smoked pork shoulder with a jerk paste for the rub. Would be a change of pace.

I used a very similar recipe from Raichlen's BBQ Bible. I orignially used it for grilled chicken breasts, but think it would be great on smoked pork loin. I look forward to trying that soon.

It works great on shoulder. I buy boneless for that and separate it into large pieces. Works good on tenderloins too. I make a similar recipe but with lime juice, garlic, and fresh ginger added--much like a Jamaican street stand version.

Sounds good! I love a good jerk recipe.

I'd suggest that if you're handling the food in and out of the marinade, use gloves! That'll stick to your fingers through quite a few hand washings, and will burn your eyes, mouth, etc!

Kevin -

Curious about how you do your small-portion cooking for what you mentioned above. If you are separating your shoulder into, say 3-4 pieces, then each is around 1 1/2 pound to 2 pounds. That is pretty small. Do you still smoke them to ~195? Seems the risk of them getting dried out would be much higher.

Adam, if I was to do jerk, I wouldn't cook it until it was to the stage where you can pull it. When I've done it in the past, I've cooked the pork just until it was cooked through and taken it off to rest. Mainly I grill jerk, and then sliced it or cut it into bite sided pieces and served it with slaw, fried plantains, and coco bread for sandwiches. I like using loins because there is less fat and it's naturally more tender. If you cut it into smaller pieces before you cook it, you'll have more surface area for the marinade....
icon_smile.gif

In this recipe, it list scallions and onions. I always hear people call the green (spring?) onions, scallions.

Then I was in the store and saw something that looked like a cross between a head of garlic and an onion, with a dry reddish-brown outer peel, kind of broken into pieces like the cloves of garlic, but much bigger. Is this what is referred to when recipes list scallions?

John--

Scallions and green onions are the same.

Christopher/adamclyde--

I do cook shoulder till it's pullable/chunkable, low and slow like you'll find in Jamaica. I often temp it when I think it'll be in the 160s. When it climbs from there plus a bit more time I pull it--no specific temp. Wrap and rest and it'll chunk/shred no problem.

Loins and tenderloins are more tender only if cooked to a lower internal. Imo, the fattier stuff is preferable for typical jerk. That said, jerk paste is too good to only use when there is time for shoulder. I often butterfly tenderloin or loin, marinate it overnight, and grill it. It's not the same, but it's tasty. I, too, serve it (and jshoulder jerk) with fried plantains or bananas--delicious--and often with pineapple-mango chutney or salsa.

Hey John
That sounds like a shallot you're describing. I have always figured scallions and green onions are the same thing...but then again what do I know,lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Burns:
Sounds good! I love a good jerk recipe.

I'd suggest that if you're handling the food in and out of the marinade, use gloves! That'll stick to your fingers through quite a few hand washings, and will burn your eyes, mouth, etc! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. When I work with habaneros, I don't wear gloves, but I do put my sunglasses on just in case some juice splatters. I also try to handle them as little as possible, like scraping out the interior seeds with a spoon or something similar. Wash your hands with soap really well after you handle them or you'll be sorry.

My sister once made some salsa with jalopenos, a huge recipe too. Well, the recipe said remove seeds out of (about) 10 jalopenos, so she did...scraping them out with her fingernails! There was all manner of crying and screaming etc. So let that be a lesson!
icon_biggrin.gif

That's right. Sorry, getting shallots and scallions mixed up.

But, while on the subject, what can ya do with shallots anyway.

shallots are great. good base of lots of pan sauces. saute in butter, add your favorite liquid du jour (reduced stock, wine) and you get a sauce. Well, maybe not quite that easy, but pretty darn close.

I also love them carmelized with green beans. Mmmm.

Back