Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
At 6:00pm the meat was in the cooker and I was off and running. In the cooker:

2-6lb pork butts on top grate
2-5lb briskets on the bottom grate
Sand in the pan
MM cook style (full ring of unlit; 14 lit coals)
6 pieces of mesquite smoke wood

Currently at 12:22am the vital signs are the following:

Smoker Temp: Steady at 227
Meat Temp(big butt on top) 162

Going to bed now...will have questions about this ET-73 later. Keep you posted!!

What's with all the wood? Is it windy? Wood inside!!

BTW, no fair covering the meat!!! I wanna see!! You're killing me!

Rath *happy to use Greg's words*

Greg...pssstt, you awake yet? I smell somethin' smokin'...did you hear it too? How the temps?

BTW...What's with the nice table and windbreak? MUCH TOOO organized. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This third cup of coffee is great. Keep us posted.

Hey Greg,
I was wondering, I see a package of Oreos in your first pic. Are they a secret ingredient ???

How's the cook goin'???

Al

Yawn...stretch...the WSM is a great thing to have...nothing like the smell of smoked pork and meat in the morning.

Vital Signs:
Meat Temp: 186
Smoker Temp: 220

Here is the pork and the beef albeit upside down as I flipped and forgot to take a photo of them right-side up /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif...OH, well...more pics to follow!

By the way, this WSM held 220-225 all night, like from 8pm till present time, hence the long gap in updates(sleeping)!

Greg *Dreaming of butts and briskets* /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

By the way..Al, my lips are sealed regarding the Oreos! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The wood is a make-shift windscreen(not very handy)gets the job done--bad weather last night so I cooked in the garage!

The cart was left in my garage by some lady during the neighborhood gargare sale...mine now!! Handy Dandy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way, this WSM held 220-225 all night, like from 8pm till present time, hence the long gap in updates(sleeping)! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> -- Yeah, right. That's the story I'd stick with. And the OREOs...come on Greg...we may look dumb but we're not stupid. Those were to keep the mice away from the WSM, right?

Well, I know all about the OREOs. You crush them up , add them to your rub for a rich color and great tasting bark.

"lol"
Good going Greg, great pics.

Rick

Here is the 11:25am update:

Vital Signs:
Meat Temp: 188
Smoker Temp: 231

Almost dumped the beef in the pan like a moron when I flipped um back over. Does the grate go on the bolts or the lips of the brackets for the lower grate? (Beginner /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif).

Pork looking good and smelling beter. Neighbor came over to "see" how it was going...I beat him up and told him "No pork for you!!"

I think a couple more hours and they be ready to pull them off.

The 180 plateau is a monster!!

You're making me hungry Greg!!!

And <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"No pork for you!!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> you don't share? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Keep us updated!

Rath *getting out the bib*

Hey Greg.
Your butts look great. They seem to be more reddish in color as compared to mine which are usually very dark. What rub did you use?

I read somewhere, here, that someone does not use sugar in their rub and that keeps the bark from turning dark. Is that the case here?

Save me a sammich!!!!

Al

Rath, I hate nosy neighbors, would share w/ you anytime. Make it to Cleveland and thee smoke is on me right?!

AL, of course I'm not going to tell you all my ingredients because that would go against magician rules, but, there is regular white sugar (quarter cup). Perhaps its the paprika or season salt or something red in the rub that makes it get that color.

Just pulled off the brisket and the butts are stuck at 189 (YIKES) Running out of fuel now!! Hurry you butts...COOK!!

Pics to follow!!

Well, note that Greg has been incommunicado for nearly two hours....that must mean that all is progressing well. Hope so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
Well, note that Greg has been incommunicado for nearly two hours....that must mean that all is progressing well. Hope so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either that or he is running around the bullet in a frenzy opening and closing vents like a madman. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

jeff

He might be in a major fight with that nosey neighbor...Could be ugly!

I'm sure Greg's pigged out (hehehe) and in relax/nap mode . . .

Great pics, Greg!! Now, how about the finished product????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

That is one of those laughs that hurt...and will hurt more next weekend when I do my first overnighter.

Hope that isn't the case for Greg at this point and that he and family/friends a busy pulling meat and enjoying life together. (much more important than keeping us posted)

Finally the butts are done...little longer than I expected, had to add some lit to keep the temp up and going. The good thing was that I ran 22hrs with the original kingsford load!

Currently meat is in cooler and will be puilled around 4pm. Will take pics..thanks for the support you guys, it is appreciated!!

Alright!! Glad to hear it, Greg. The last couple of butts I cooked took an additional chimney of charcoal to finish ~ One of them took 23 hours /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Hence, the saying: "It's done when it's done".

Looking forward to the pics /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back