Average temperature difference between top an bottom rack

Scott B (nj)

TVWBB Member
Has anyone out there done any tests to see what the average temp difference is between the top and bottom grates on a 22.5 WSM? I'm usually running low and slow, and I'm curious as to what others have experienced.

Thank you

Not sure about between racks..but yesterday tried to make sure my wsm was low enough to set on my ribs and had a 50 degree difference from lower rack to dome temp...both with maverick 732 rack probes...does it make a difference when the probe is over the water? Should I just use the higher rack when only using one rack?

Not sure about between racks..but yesterday tried to make sure my wsm was low enough to set on my ribs and had a 50 degree difference from lower rack to dome temp...both with maverick 732 rack probes...does it make a difference when the probe is over the water? Should I just use the higher rack when only using one rack?

Yes, use the top rack if cooking only one slab. Meat over meat with water in the pan will result in pretty similar cook times for a couple of reasons. For one thing, meat on the bottom is a heat sink for meat on the top rack. Also, although water can only reach about 212*, it produces steam, so it will conduct heat better to the meat on the bottom rack.

Regarding probes, for each meat or type of cook, find one place to measure temp and stick with it. You could hang the probe in the top vent and shoot for 15-20 degrees higher than your target temp, like 265-275* on a rib cook. OR, hang the probe from the top grate, like between a couple of pork butts and shoot for 235-250*. Although a bit more hassle setting up, that'll give the most accurate temp to better time long cooks. Just make sure the probe tip is somewhere toward the center, clear of meat drippings.

Last edited:

Back