Auto reboot WiFi on Hetermeter

I really appreciate all the work you have done on the HeaterMeter so I am glad to provide feedback on issues when I have the time. You've really brought the HM a long way over the last couple years, I was very impressed when I first found the HM, but over the past couple years a lot of my "wish list" items have come to fruition and the HM keeps getting better and better...
Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication Bryan!

Here's an observation that might be helpful for your debugging, idk, just let me know if this isn't relevant.

I have a Pi3 that is being utilized for another purpose. It's running nginx to serve some web pages. Periodically, it would become unreachable this morning. I found that if I remoted into another Linux box from my phone, and then SSH'd from the LInux box into the problematic Pi, it would make the Pi web page responsive again. After this happened several times repeatedly, I noticed that I didn't actually have to provide the password requested from the Pi, simply attempting to connect would "wake up" the Pi. This Pi is running Raspian. And, although I tried, I couldn't SSH directly from my phone to the Pi. I had to use the other Linux box as the gateway.

So, this morning I was watching my HM on my phone while finishing up an overnight cook. I'm starting to lose track of events. But, one thing for certain, the HM became unreachable from my mac. So, I tried to SSH into the HM from my mac terminal. But, SSH responded with host not reachable. I tried pinging it from my mac, with no luck. So, from that mac terminal, I SSH'd into my other Linux box (same as mentioned before) and from that box, I was able to SSH into the HM from it (again, using the Linux box as a gateway). This made the HM web page available on the mac.

The other odd part is that I am running a Terminal on my iPhone that I can use to ssh into other boxes on my LAN. Interestingly, I couldn't connect straight to either PI. But, I could SSH from my phone to my other Linux box and from there SSH into the Pi running nginx. I'm not positive now if I every tried going from my phone to my Linux box to my HM.

This seems to suggest the problems are all native to the wifi adapter and/or driver on the Pi3, which is what I believe you already said.

Bryan updated the driver for the built in wifi device on the rPi units and since then everything has been rock solid for me, not sure if we need to keep digging here?

Yeah I am not actively working on it any more at this time but I am keeping my eye on the firmware blob and the linux driver to see if anything comes down the pipe to improve it. I haven't had any issues connecting with the latest snapshot on any of the devices I have sitting around here running 24/7 since last week, but I also didn't haven any issues before the changes because my router is always reachable.

@Darren that's sort of what I was seeing too. It all came down to broadcasts going missing somewhere in the air on the way to the Pi. If there was ever a time I couldn't connect to the Pi, I could just ping from it to the computer I wanted to connect from (which worked fine and added an ARP entry on the computer for the Pi) and then I could connect just fine. I also could always connect from machines where the ARP entry was still in the cache, even if it was in a STALE state (ip -s neighbor list). Sometimes setting `ifconfig wlan0 promisc` on the Pi would make it start seeing ARP who-has requests and keep it working, but it wasn't 100%.

Back