Aura Kettlezone

If you got a stacker ring for the kettle, it could. Outside of that there is limited space under the kettle lid. For that reason the 18" WSM will probably always get the nod as a dedicated smoker just for volume and the benefit of a water pan. It will cook longer, but the aura with a gasket seal for the lid will get you into the same ballpark with a little less food capacity. The chuck roast came off awesome.

Of the reviews from folks at work, I had very picky BBQ "snobs" saying it was great(it takes a lot to get them to say it's more than ok). Someone else said it was better than what they get at one of the local BBQ restaurants. Another said I should open my own. Finally, it may have convinced another to get into it as it made him want to look at going out and getting a smoker.

When you see the pictures though, I didn't do anything extravagant. It was all off the shelf stuff and easily accessible by anyone. That's the beauty of a kettle setup like this. It works, hands down and you have a very versatile grill. Not everyone has the money for expensive setups or multiple cookers. Having a single grill at a moderate cost that can do many things is in many occasions the right fit.

I will try to have the photos up as soon as I can.
I could probably use my rotisserie ring as another level if I ever needed to and that would then give me the equivalent of a WSM 22. The only issue I see is that my WSM holds 225-250 so well. Maybe it was my inexperience but when I used to smoke on the kettle using my "Bro-N-Sear" (pre-WSM days) my briskets came out great but I was constantly messing with the vents trying to keep the temps at 225. It seemed like every 15-20 minutes I was dialing the vents. Maybe the diffuser stone on the Aura will help maintain temps like the water pan on the WSM.

That's why I wanted to show it. It really hasn't been shown very much in detail in most cases. In the time it has been on the market it gets mentioned in a few videos, but not showcased and explained, or there are two videos that do but they are short and a bit more hit or miss.

Sorry for the delay in photos, I am fighting with my &#%@<#*!#¿ tablet trying to get the cook pictures off onto the computer. Not going well..
I post on my computer then edit my posts and add photos from my phone... Not ideal, but it works for me.

I post on my computer then edit my posts and add photos from my phone... Not ideal, but it works for me.
I do the opposite. Take pics on the phone. They are automatically synced to Google photos, I download and post from my computer. Phone can't beat a 34" monitor to work on for me.

I could probably use my rotisserie ring as another level if I ever needed to and that would then give me the equivalent of a WSM 22. The only issue I see is that my WSM holds 225-250 so well. Maybe it was my inexperience but when I used to smoke on the kettle using my "Bro-N-Sear" (pre-WSM days) my briskets came out great but I was constantly messing with the vents trying to keep the temps at 225. It seemed like every 15-20 minutes I was dialing the vents. Maybe the diffuser stone on the Aura will help maintain temps like the water pan on the WSM.
I will explain what I did and how once I can post the photos.

Ok Guys, here goes.

1st up, I set this cook up to be easily accessible to everyone, no secret ingredients, bargain basement charcoal, a few chunks of wood.

I started off with the old ring out of my 22inch WSM (Not necessary, but I wanted to try it for airflow) and filled it with Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. I bought this bag for 10 bucks. I HATE Royal oak, because I have never gotten a bag without 80% being small enough to fall through the weber grate once I start pouring, and I fought to make it work this time too. For wood, I used two fist sized pieces of Cherry, and one of Hickory spaced evenly around the center inside the coal.
006.jpg

Please note that the WSM ring just slides in under the grate support tabs by a hair.

Starting off for a low and slow, I never want to get too much charcoal burning. Its easier to work up to a temp and then control it, than take extra time to bounce back and forth with your dampers.
007.jpg
If I was using the normal Kingsford BB I normally use, this would be equivalent to about 4 or 5 lit briquettes. On goes the grate and stones, to slowly come up to temp for the next hour while I do my other preparations.
008.jpg
Yes, I forced a small pan in under the grate to catch the drippings. Sitting on the stones gave an interesting result later.

Now onto the ingredients. One 4lb Choice Chuck Roast, one bottle of generic brand horseradish sauce(Like Arby's horsey sauce) for a binder, and one WEBER COWBOY seasoning and rub shaker. It took about 25% of the bottle for the meat.
009.jpg
Again, nothing fancy, this is something everybody can do. (PS~ on the right you can see where I trimmed the end of the roast slightly to square it and take a thin end off, but it was a very thick roast)
011.jpg
And let there be smoke. One hour after lighting the grill, and approximately 37 or so minutes with the rub sitting on the meat, the kettle is rocking along at a solid 250 to 260 degrees on the Thermometer, a little cooler at great level but not by much with those stones sitting directly over the fire and having soaked up heat and now sending it straight up in a controlled fashion.
017.jpg
Just a quick shot to show relative Vent positions. If anyone wants to see what this looks like from inside the grill I will take more photos on request to show it better.
016.jpg
The top vent is maybe a quarter of the way open, and the bottom vent is barely cracked open off of fully closed. For the temps in the mid 50's to 60's, this worked for me even though I was fighting wind.

Several hours later, I did my first check and just short of the stall temp. Flipped the meat, and back on for another 35 minutes.
018.jpg
020.jpg
158 degrees, and time to wrap. Notice the pan, some of the drippings hit it with the heat of the stones underneath and sizzled into smoke, further adding more smoke to the meat. Back on, and still holding 250 sure and steady.

At 5pm, about 6 hours in on the nose the Roast probed tender at 203 degrees internal. Time to pull it, and set it aside to rest. I used my WSM for this, with just enough coals in a minion basket to bring the heat up to just shy of 170 degrees.
024.jpg
Ultimately, I barely had to feed the minion basket, and let the temp slowly drop over the next 6 hours.

So here is what I had still in the Kettle once I pulled the roast. Let me tell you, get some heavy duty welders gloves before you handle the plates. THOSE THINGS WILL BE SEVERAL HUNDRED DEGREES HOT! You've been warned.
023.jpg
Ultimately during the cook, and the subsequent hour after I used for Cheddar sausages, I used maybe half the coal I started with, with quite a few chunks falling into the ash bucket due to small size. Closed off the vents, and the grill shut down within the hour, saving the coal. Honestly, I need some expanded metal grate to fit in over my charcoal grate if I want to use this stuff in my kettle again. It does burn faster than Kingsford for me, and a bit hotter, but I did ok with it using the Aura.

11PM The roast is rested, it is juicy, it is almost falling apart as I unwrap it and is just as squishy as can be filled with juice.025.jpg
Not once did I spritz this chunk of meat, there was no water in the kettle, no moisture was added at anytime once it went on the grill. Chilling in the fridge overnight it firmed up for slicing at work the next day, but even fully cold once cut it was like biting into butter. Reheated, those that got to taste it had their eyes bug out. I got comments on how good it smelled and how amazing it tasted, including a few who emailed me after because they didnt get to say anything before I left work monday afternoon.

Good barbeque is accessible to anyone who owns a weber Kettle, even without an Aura KZCS. You dont need a Smoker to get good results, and you dont need a $1000 to $2000 kamado setup either. A stock OG 22 inch Kettle is currently listed on Weber's site as going for $130 US dollars. Add on the same for an Aura, and you are in for $260, or about the same cost as a Master Touch. For that you get a grill, smoker, steak searing, baking combo that cant be matched for versatility or value at cost pretty much anywhere else on the market. And the Aura is just an extra. Anyway, that just covers brand new, and there are a good number here who have picked up kettles for $35 to $50 used and in great shape. (This last is for those new to the site, as I am sure the rest of us are very familiar to Weber already and what it can do. For those browsing because they are looking to get their first Charcoal grill, I hope this helps and gives you the confidence to learn a skill that is both wonderfully American, and also as old as mankind itself. Safe Grilling to you all, God bless.)

Great write up and pictures. That chuck roast looks fabulous. Where do you put the hot deflector stone when removing it? I would be afraid of breaking it if it was placed on a cold surface. Do you think a ring from a WSM 18 would be a better fit? If your roast was done (203 and tender) when you pulled it why put it on your WSM for another 6 hours? I think I would have let it rest for an hour and had it for dinner;-) After your success do you still feel the need for your WSM? Did you have to mess with the vents during the cook? If so how often? Thank you.

In the second to last picture of the grill there seems to be a metal disk on the right side. What is that?

Great write up and pictures. That chuck roast looks fabulous. Where do you put the hot deflector stone when removing it? I would be afraid of breaking it if it was placed on a cold surface. Do you think a ring from a WSM 18 would be a better fit? If your roast was done (203 and tender) when you pulled it why put it on your WSM for another 6 hours? I think I would have let it rest for an hour and had it for dinner;-) After your success do you still feel the need for your WSM? Did you have to mess with the vents during the cook? If so how often? Thank you.
The most I messed with my vents during the cook was a quick swipe of the one touch cleaning system every 1 to 2 hours to keep the bottom vents clean, then set it back to where I had them. Because I took my time during setup, and know how my grill runs it was pretty much hassle free without having to check on it too much.

I put the roast in the WSM not to cook, but to rest. I did not have a cooler available, and since the meat had hit 203, sitting in the WSM was not cooking it any further. All it was doing was keeping the roast warm, and letting it slowly cool down over time. It's a technique some people use for brisket.

I still love my WSM, and since I love to hang my ribs the vertical space the WSM gives me is an advantage. It will also last a lot longer on a load of fuel if I set it up right. I still like being able to smoke on the WSM and then light my Kettle later to grill some vegetables to go with the meat at a higher temp, or bake a side dish in a cast iron pan. If someone wanted to have or could only have one, then the kettle is going to be more versatile. (And less expensive if buying new)

What kind metal deflector, and / or where was the used? I just noticed in you signature that you do no have a gasser at all?

What kind metal deflector, and / or where was the used? I just noticed in you signature that you do no have a gasser at all?
It's not metal, it's one of the ceramic plates. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

No, I do not own a gas grill. I do have a flat top griddle, but that is the only propane item I have. I've cooked on them, but when I bought my own first grill I chose charcoal and got a Weber 22 inch kettle. That first grill lasted 15 years inspite of family trying to run it over with a lawn mower.

Another cook with the Aura. This was at 10 this morning. IMG_20220316_095026038.jpg

About ten minutes after the food went on I set the one touch and the top vent then left the house to run a few errands with my wife and just got home. Here is the temp, just perfect. I wasn't concerned or rushed at all, I knew this would be rock steady!
IMG_20220316_115916842.jpg

Your ACZ intrigues me, so I did a little test with 3 corned beefs today instead of tomorrow because today it is 70° and beautiful and tomorrow is 50's and raining. 2 are traditional, 1 was soaked then prepared like a brisket with a coffee / cocoa rub. I also threw on some chicken sausage and rendered some of the fat that was trimmed, all on my kettle. I set it up with the charcoal ring off my WSM18, then put a 15" pizza pan, 16" pizza stone, and 18" pizza pan on top of the ring, then added my rotisserie ring for an extender. I lit up the coals in the ring for 5 minutes with the Performer gas ignition. Then assembled, when the grill got to about 180° I put the meats on. I got it to hold temps to about 250, then it slowly creeped up to 300 even with all the dampers shut. Never went over 300. My rotisserie ring leaks like a sieve. I like the idea of the "all in one grill". I am thinking before I get the ACZ I am going to try to sell my rotisserie ring and get the Only fire Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring as it has dampers for all the openings. Then probably the ACZ. I started the gill at 9:30, put the meats on at 10:00, and took them off around 3ish.20220316_094341.jpg20220316_132827.jpg20220316_151126.jpg20220316_151252.jpg

Your ACZ intrigues me, so I did a little test with 3 corned beefs today instead of tomorrow because today it is 70° and beautiful and tomorrow is 50's and raining. 2 are traditional, 1 was soaked then prepared like a brisket with a coffee / cocoa rub. I also threw on some chicken sausage and rendered some of the fat that was trimmed, all on my kettle. I set it up with the charcoal ring off my WSM18, then put a 15" pizza pan, 16" pizza stone, and 18" pizza pan on top of the ring, then added my rotisserie ring for an extender. I lit up the coals in the ring for 5 minutes with the Performer gas ignition. Then assembled, when the grill got to about 180° I put the meats on. I got it to hold temps to about 250, then it slowly creeped up to 300 even with all the dampers shut. Never went over 300. My rotisserie ring leaks like a sieve. I like the idea of the "all in one grill". I am thinking before I get the ACZ I am going to try to sell my rotisserie ring and get the Only fire Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring as it has dampers for all the openings. Then probably the ACZ. I started the gill at 9:30, put the meats on at 10:00, and took them off around 3ish.View attachment 47291View attachment 47292View attachment 47293View attachment 47294
Before you sell the ring, try high heat foil tape over the holes on both inside and outside. Get a good seal and try again. Ic you see enough improvement to warrant the expense, great. If not, you're only out the cost of foil tape you can use for other things.

Your ACZ intrigues me, so I did a little test with 3 corned beefs today instead of tomorrow because today it is 70° and beautiful and tomorrow is 50's and raining. 2 are traditional, 1 was soaked then prepared like a brisket with a coffee / cocoa rub. I also threw on some chicken sausage and rendered some of the fat that was trimmed, all on my kettle. I set it up with the charcoal ring off my WSM18, then put a 15" pizza pan, 16" pizza stone, and 18" pizza pan on top of the ring, then added my rotisserie ring for an extender. I lit up the coals in the ring for 5 minutes with the Performer gas ignition. Then assembled, when the grill got to about 180° I put the meats on. I got it to hold temps to about 250, then it slowly creeped up to 300 even with all the dampers shut. Never went over 300. My rotisserie ring leaks like a sieve. I like the idea of the "all in one grill". I am thinking before I get the ACZ I am going to try to sell my rotisserie ring and get the Only fire Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring as it has dampers for all the openings. Then probably the ACZ. I started the gill at 9:30, put the meats on at 10:00, and took them off around 3ish.View attachment 47291View attachment 47292View attachment 47293View attachment 47294

Joe, I see they dropped the OnlyFire multi ring on Amazon here in Canada by 25% so you might want to check if they did in the US. ($150 Cdn)

Before you sell the ring, try high heat foil tape over the holes on both inside and outside. Get a good seal and try again. Ic you see enough improvement to warrant the expense, great. If not, you're only out the cost of foil tape you can use for other things.
I thought of using foil tape but unfortunately the ring leaks smoke from where it sits into the base of the grill and where the lid sits. If the onlyfire leaks I could use gasket tape as instead of sitting in the kettle it sits over the lip. That is not possible with the ring I have. Plus it comes with a pizza kit that has another stone;-). It would be an upgrade.
Joe, I see they dropped the OnlyFire multi ring on Amazon here in Canada by 25% so you might want to check if they did in the US. ($150 Cdn)
It is $115 here now. I think I may be able to get $75 for my ring, so not much more.

IMG_20220206_122336425_HDR.jpg

Joe,
I think you did everything just how I would do it to keep the temps where you want them. I strongly believe the rotisserie ring as the extender played a major in the temps raising to 300. I one time use my rotisserie ring with the Aura, the lid would not close with both the CI pieces, with both top and bottom vents closed, it cooked above 300 also.

View attachment 47349

Joe,
I think you did everything just how I would do it to keep the temps where you want them. I strongly believe the rotisserie ring as the extender played a major in the temps raising to 300. I one time use my rotisserie ring with the Aura, the lid would not close with both the CI pieces, with both top and bottom vents closed, it cooked above 300 also.
That is what I was thinking as I saw smoke coming out of everywhere. Do you always / usually use a charcoal ring with your Aura?

That is what I was thinking as I saw smoke coming out of everywhere. Do you always / usually use a charcoal ring with your Aura?
N I don't use a charcoal ring. I really thought about getting a WSM 22 charcoal ring to add to the set up, but for the cost of it I just decided against it. I throw a layer of charcoal in, a ring of smoke wood on top that and start it with two started squares and do what you did. The only issue I have even had with the the Aura is that twice the temps started to drop and when I checked it was because the fire was moving directly and a good portion of the charcoal was untouched. I just pushed all the charcoal back together and the temps bounced back.

Back