ATTENTION CRAB LOVERS

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
TOMORROW - 3/9/22

National Crab Meat Day

The Crab Cake recipe sounds good!!

Last edited:
I think that's appropriate...today is International Women's Day, tomorrow is National Crab Day! :)

Sorry, ladies! The world is a better place, thanks to you! Have a great day!

This sounds soo good. I like the idea of making our own curry powder. The book says grinding the spices just before use makes a big difference in the flavor.

Simple Crab Curry

2 TB. butter
1 TB. chopped green bell pepper
1 TB. mango chutney
1/2 tsp. curry powder (recipe below)
2 cups (1 lb.) crab meat
cooked rice

Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over low heat. Increase the heat and add the green pepper. Saute 5 minutes. Add the chutney, curry powder and the crab meat. Saute, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Serve hot with either brown or white rice. Yield 4 servings.

Curry Powder
5 parts ground turmeric
4 parts ground coriander
3 parts ground cayenne
2 parts ground cumin
2 parts ground black pepper
1 part ground cloves
1 part ground ginger

Source: Crab Cookery Coast to Coast - Glenn Day - 1982

Last edited:
I usually cut up my cooking magazines and just save the recipes I like. But, I have saved some of the real old ones. While looking through one of them today, I found this recipe. I don't remember if I made a copy of it back then, but I sure did today. lol I can't wait to make and post, so I am going to post it here now. It sure sounds like a good one. I know DH will think so, look at the first 2 ingredients. lol

Chattanooga Pie

1/4 lb. Swiss cheese, grated
1/4 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
1 pie crust baked in 10" springform pan
1 lb. cooked crabmeat
1 cup dry-roasted cashews
3 cups whipping cream
8 eggs, beaten to blend
salt and freshy ground pepper
2 TB. butter
1/4 tsp. dried tarragon, crumbled
1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 large red onion, minced
1 1/2 lbs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry

1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450F. Sprinkle cheeses over crust. Cover with crabmeat. Top with cashews. Mix cream and eggs. Season generously with salt and pepper. Pour half of egg mixture into crust; set remaining mixture aside. Place pie in oven. Reduce temperature to 350F. Bake pie until custard is set but not browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in tarragon, Old Bay, nutmeg and pepper. Add onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and saute 3 minutes.
3. Set aside 1/4 cup egg mixture. Blend remaining egg mixture into spinach. Spoon atop pie. Pour reserved egg mixture over.
4. Bake until custard is set and top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove springform. Cut pie into slices.

Source: Bon Appetite mag. December 1985-Lambertville Station Restaurant, Lambertville, New Jersey (per request of Nancy Allen, Newtown Square, Penn.)

Wow!!! 37 years ago. I wonder if Nancy ever made it.

I'm looking!!!!!! I'm looking!!!!!!

Can't seem to find any crab recipes for the grill. Help please!!!!!

Back