ATmega328P screw-up, what to do?

DarrenE

TVWBB Member
I received the PCB today and started piecing together the heatermeter. Imagine the sinking feeling I just had when I realized that I had just soldered the ATmega328P to the board instead of the socket. That's what I get for doing this too late tonight... not following directions well apparently.

How should I proceed? Is the chip likely to be fried?

Thanks!

It's fine! I actually considered removing the socket from the parts list but I got a lot of flack about it. If you soldered it in the right orientation, you'll be fine.

I wanted to follow up and say thanks to Ivo and especially Bryan. I finished the assembly tonight and like you said Bryan it was fine. Everything appears to be working. I just need to make a fan mount and I'm all set.

I received the PCB today and started piecing together the heatermeter. Imagine the sinking feeling I just had when I realized that I had just soldered the ATmega328P to the board instead of the socket. That's what I get for doing this too late tonight... not following directions well apparently.

How should I proceed? Is the chip likely to be fried?

Thanks!

I know the sinking feeling, exactly. I did the same damn thing. It's been working fine. I think those things run about $2.50. So, it's not a big loss if it doesn't work. And, if it ever needs replacing, I'll put the socket on then.

Oh. And, I forgot about this. When I first plugged it in, the LCD wasn't lit. That was confirmation to me that I screwed something up. I just knew that I had fried it. Then, it dawned on me, something I had read on the forums somewhere about the variable resisitor, potentiometer or whatever that think is called needing to be adjusted. So, I was elated to see that quick turn of the screw brightened the LCD and I was up and running. I'm just mentioning that in case you run into the same issue.

Bryan, maybe a comment about that in the wiki might be useful. Say something like, "Turn all the way to the left, then back one full turn" (just for example). That might get the position close enough to start.

Back