Atkins Lo Carb Diet and WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is anyone else using a WSM while on the Atkins Diet?

I am concerned that many of the recipes, marinades and rubs as well as BBQ sauce may have too many carbs in them due to their high sugar content.

I want to pick up a WSM and smoke some meats, veggies and cheese but I wonder if such and item will be useless for the Atkins Dieter. I still have 40 to 50 lbs to lose to get to 180.

Do you have any ideas for grilling or smoking and still make it possible to live with that darn diet?

I really want to try my hand at smoking but I don't want to waste money on something that is really impractical for an Atkins Dieter.

I have lost 90 lbs. in the last 91 days thanks to eating only protien. That was one of the reasons I bought the WSM, since my choices are limited, I'm going to make sure that they taste as great as possible. In my opinion, you don't get many carbs from the rub or mop, only the sauces you chose to use. Go light on the sauce and enjoy.

OK first the warning use only Splenda it is made from sugar and can take heat which is why Atkins says to use it. The other no/lo cal sweetners have very nasty things happen when heated.

The Splenda website and the Atkins books have BBQ recipes including BBQ sauce. Any rub recipe that calls for sugar just add Splenda too taste. Cash & Carry carries bulk Splenda.
HTH,

Konrad has a great plan with using Splenda. I have heard many good results when using it.

On the other hand, if you don't want to make your own, how much carbs are in the sauce? Check a bottle of your favorite and I am willing to bet it ain't much.

OK, OK, I just did this!

The Honey sauces all have 10g per 2 tablespoons. All my other sauces have around 4 or 5g for the same serving size. 2 TBLS should be plenty for flavoring a serving.

You get 70g per day I believe, so 4-5g per serving should be doable.

I just found a Barbecue sauce to try from Jenny the Bean's No-carb BBQ sauce

I notice it uses Splenda as suggested by others.

3/8 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that
has spices or flavorings in it!
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan
and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple
tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back
to sauce in pan. Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few
minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is
still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the
fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an
ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories

Lots of sauces use ketchup for base. You can find sugar free ketchup at most stores. Makes it a little easier for small batches.

42 pounds lost since 1/1/03 on Atkins, good Q, low-carb beer.

Splenda's a good idea. However, it probably doesn't add all that much carbs if you use regular sugar. I use a marinade with 2 tablespoons of sugar per 3 cups of marinade. That's not a lot.

As a nutritionist, I would tell you that one day a week with a few more carbs won't kill you. It would probably raise your leptin levels, keeping you losing at a good rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back