ATC for the Kettle

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I really don't know where to put this, so I'll try here.

Tom Horsman reviews an ATC for the Kettle which looks promising. I don't use my Kettle as a smoker, but if I was limited to a Kettle, I would seriously think about trying this

I’ve used a “Tip-Top” temperature controller on the kettle and was really impressed, the thing is just such a simple concept. I liked it. Since I got my WSM I have not used it much but, if I had to use the kettle to smoke, that thing works incredibly well!

Late last year I purchased the diffuser plate & charcoal chamber from Weber that comes standard with the MT Premium model. I have yet to install it as well a BBQ Guru adapter in my Performer. Per that video I think I am going to be very pleased with that set-up. I usually only use lump for hot searing such as steaks, etc. but after watching that video, I may have to try some lump as well.

As usual, Tom's video was informative. This looks like a pretty cool device and I like the fact that you can leave it on pretty much all the time and that it fits within the profile of the kettle so will work with covers, etc. My main concern is that it's only for the kettle whereas other controllers can be used with multiple cookers.

I wanted this so bad when it came out but the price (while worth it) was what held me back. Wifey was only slightly peeved when I got the TTT instead lol.

When I first got my Performer I wanted one in the worst way.
I really thought I “had” to have one.
After a few hundred cooks not so much.
My kettle holds temp just fine.
Sometimes I even split for an hour or so to pick up groceries.

I think that this would/might be fine for an overnight cook.
I’ve done overnight cooks with mine and my Bluetooth alarm is all I need.

That being said,
I might really consider that when I get a WSM but if it can hold temp maybe not.

I really don't know where to put this, so I'll try here.

Tom Horsman reviews an ATC for the Kettle which looks promising. I don't use my Kettle as a smoker, but if I was limited to a Kettle, I would seriously think about trying this

Accessories. Saw the video last night.

It does defeat why I prefer the Kettle in that you need to be hooked to electricity to use it. My kettle likes to travel.

IMO, A Fireboard 2 Drive, BBQ guru, Thermoworks Signal are a far better value. Even though they are more expensive, they’re not grill specific.

Back