At what temperature.....& brine bucket suggestion.

Drew Get

just a quick question for some or you experts. We are having an early thanksgiving this weekend so I plan on smoking a turkey. The weather is supposed to fairly cold I was wandering at what temperature should I start to consider insulating my 22.5 WSM.

For those who are looking for a cheap food grade plastic bucket. I have discovered that Fire House Subs sells their old 5 gallon pickle buckets for $2.00. Not sure if this restaurant is nation wide but its a good tool and the $2.00 goes to a good cause.

I use a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler that was for the field help when we farmed tobacco. It is insulated and a decent sized turkey fits right in. I weigh the bird down with a few plastic frozen bottles of water. I have another Igloo that is more squat in size and larger opening.

Brine%20Vessel%201-XL.jpg

just a quick question for some or you experts. We are having an early thanksgiving this weekend so I plan on smoking a turkey. The weather is supposed to fairly cold I was wandering at what temperature should I start to consider insulating my 22.5 WSM.

For those who are looking for a cheap food grade plastic bucket. I have discovered that Fire House Subs sells their old 5 gallon pickle buckets for $2.00. Not sure if this restaurant is nation wide but its a good tool and the $2.00 goes to a good cause.

Drew, be careful with the pickle buckets. I bought one a few years ago for fishing. I had it for years and could never get the pickle/vinegar smell out of it. And that was after keeping shrimp and bait in it and trying to bleach it. Not sure if that would affect the food if you were using it to brine. Just a thought.....

Oh yeah , Dallas Fort Worth? No way you need to worry about that....what's it dropping down to , 50? My brother lives in wills point and when it gets below 60 he needs a sweater. :cool:
Seriously , I've used my WSM in below freezing weather and it does fine with no blankets.

Yes they do. Mine was very strong with the pickle smell. It was mostly behind a rubber gasket in the lid. Take that out, clean real well, and store with the lid off and the smell does go away...at least it did for me.

Back