Ashes in garbage?

Tomas Bjornerback

TVWBB Member
Hi!

I read the April 2006 TVWB News e-mail, the make-believe mailbag section, and would like to share my opionion on what to do with the ashes.

I put them in the soil around my wife's flowers (outdoors, not in the flower pots indoors...).

It's a very good soil improvement substance. It's the opposite of acidic (pH >7) and contains lots of minerals etc.

Of course, it must be totally extinguished - easily done with a few liters of water...
icon_smile.gif

/Tomas

Let me reprint the Make-Believe Mailbag item Tomas is referring to. It's inspired by an actual e-mail I received from someone, whose identity shall remain a secret.

For those who don't know, Make-Believe Mailbag is part of the TVWB News monthly e-mail newsletter. To subscribe and for access to past issues, visit Subscribe To TVWB News.

Concerning the use of ashes in your garden, I think it depends on your individual soil conditions and the volume of ashes you're trying to get rid of. Googling the phrase ashes in garden renders many articles. For example, one says "OK for New Hampshire", another says "Don't do it in New Mexico".

Regards,
Chris

------------
MAKE-BELIEVE MAILBAG
Barnum Down from Firehole Canyon, WY writes, "A few weeks ago, I cooked in my WSM and let the ashes cool for at least 36 hours before dumping them into a plastic garbage can. Low and behold, about an hour later the garbage can was on fire, and those plastic jobbers really burn! Thank goodness it was outside the house and not in the garage. There was no serious damage, but it got me to wondering--what's the safest way to dispose of ashes after cooking?"

The absolute safest way to dispose of ashes, regardless of whether they're red-hot or seemingly stone-cold, is to put them in a small, galvanized metal trash can that is dedicated to the purpose of ash storage. Keep the can away from any flammable materials, including your house, wood pile, dry grass, or weeds. Let the ashes sit for a good, long time until there is absolutely no doubt they are fully extinguished, then dispose of them in your regular household garbage.

If a dedicated ash bin is not an option, stir through the ashes to make sure they are absolutely cold before dumping them in the garbage. It is surprising how ashes that seem cold at first glance can actually be hot inside upon closer inspection.

Back