Ash on shutdown?

Jeff Mendenhall

Hey everyone -

Loving the EX4 - has been very stable and reliable over the short time I have had it (it does have the upgraded chute, hopper insert, and the latest software and firmware).

The one observation I have made is ash on shutdown - I don’t see a lot of ash inside flying around when cooking, but after shutdown the interior has ash covering everything. I was wondering if this could be the way the fan runs during shutdown? Has anyone else noticed the same issue, and found a solution?

I haven’t tried just flipping the powerswitch, but I’ll admit I’ve been tempted ...

Apologies if this has been covered, but the forum wouldn’t let me search for “ash” ....

Flipping the switch is not the right thing to do. The shut down burns the remaining pellets in the firebox so that start up goes as intended. It also removes pellets from the chute to help eliminate burn back into the hopper. Several people vacuum the ash after cool down. I ignore it and go on. I have never notice any ash on my food.

I must aid that I watched several YouTube videos about initial burns with the SF where individuals flipped switches, pulled plugs, etc. It never ended well.

When you say there is ash "covering everything" do you mean BELOW the grate level or even above and on the grates?

Ashes below are entirely normal. These SmokeFire grills were somewhat over-hyped - OK maybe almost way over-hyped - regarding how easy they would be to maintain. After one cook, my Rec Tec leaves ash all over the bottom under the thick stainless drip sheet. About every second cook I use a cheap little Shop Vac with cheap (100 to a box) bags and vacuum it out. I have seen virtually no ash above the drip sheet or grates where it could get on the food. But, I am sure if I ignored cleaning with the regularity I try to do, in time the ash would accumulate enough to start blowing up further and ultimately onto my food. I would say you just need to expect to clean your SmokeFire regularly. With a little shop vac or similar it really is a quick, easy job.

Ashes below I would expect, and I clean the bottom of the grill prior to each cook, using a little Shop Van I repurposed for this task. After shutdown I have had ash on the grates and in the top of the grill as well. I will keep an eye on it and make sure I’m keeping it clean enough, and will be sure I empty the ash tray each time as well.

I’m definitely pleased with this grill - every cook has produced wonderful food with excellent flavor. Just curious about the ash, which wasn’t as prevalent on the little Traeger that was replaced with the EX4.

Thanks for the replies and info! I actually had not seen any marketing information on this grill; I went to my local Ace hardware store looking to get some other odds and ends; saw the Smokefire and came home with it because it’s a Weber; never had an issue with any of their products. My only regret is that it’s $200 cheaper a few weeks later ....

My Camp Chef has what Jon said ash under the drip plate but no where else and I know my daughters Traeger has the same thing. I think that's normal for all Pellet grills.

Last edited:

Back