Ash Catcher on 18.5 OTG question

Kevin Glenn

TVWBB Member
Looking for a little help with my OTG. It looses heat quickly and the coals seem to burnout/smolder out quickly. I have the top and bottom vents wide open with the ash catcher in place. Should I cook with the ash catcher removed and sitting directly below on the wire shelf or should it be attached. I have a 22 OTS with the tray and never have any problems. I think the ash catcher is limiting air into the grill.

I've never used an 18" OTG, but I can't imagine having the ash bucket in place causes you to lose heat & snuff out the coals. Doesn't even make sense. When I use the 22" OTG, sometimes I have to crack-the-lid for more/better airflow as the lid vent simply isn't enough. Give that a shot next other than changing up your charcoal. Maybe it's damp???

The OTG sucks air in above the ash catcher, so it should perform the same with or without the catcher in place.
There's more than enough holes in the ring to allow air in, considering the size of the bottom vent holes.

I'd lean towards what Chad is saying, and look at a charcoal issue.

I had an 18 OTG and that little kettle would sail up to 500 degrees no problem with the lid in place and the vents open. I know that because I was using it for pizza. I have to think it's your fuel.

Last edited:
I definitely would look to other factors like the charcoal and maybe weather conditions. I'm able to get mine to hit some mighty high temps. One thing I have learned is not to skimp on charcoal in the 18.5.

Sure we're talking about a WEBER kettle? :confused: As others have stated, it's probably a charcoal issue. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if your OTS had a poorly fitting lid, that would make for a hotter cooking kettle.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this post. I tried another cook on the grill tonight with much better results. I believe my problems last night were a combination of not using enough total charcoal and letting small piece of lump coal fall through the charcoal grate and block to bottom opening.

So tonight if filled my weber chimney 3/4 full of KBB and put the rest of the unburned lump on top of that. The grill reached a max of temperature of 550 F. Cooked seven large hamburgers. Grilled stayed over 400 F for the next hour. Problem solved!

I also experimented a few times with the ash catcher on and off with no changes in the grill temperature or burn of the charcoal.

Back