Ash and Alder wood

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
As I've said in a couple of recent posts, I'm a fan of the wood from Smokinlicious.

Well, I'm about to place an order because I need some more cherry and red oak. I was going to go ahead and get the 3 wood box, but not sure which other wood to get. They offer both ash and alder...I have never used either.

So what are those woods good for? I see alder mentioned in the cooking section for salmon. What about ash?

I can't speak for ash but alder is a staple in the Pacific NW, especially for salmon. I have never used it for any things else but it is a mild wood and imparts a great taste on the fish. I'm sure it would be great on pork or poultry. Good luck,

Matthew Jones

Lee,
May I suggest their sugar maple. Butts over maple, a hickory/maple blend or a maple/apple blend are great

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Lee,
May I suggest their sugar maple. Butts over maple, a hickory/maple blend or a maple/apple blend are great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm right there with you, Dave. The sugar maple/hickory blend is probably my favorite. I've got a fair supply of both of those right now. I highly recommend the Smokinlicious sugar maple for any that haven't tried it.

I like to keep multiple woods available so I can play around. When I'm planning a cook, I often don't know what wood I'm using until I reach into the storage bin.

As for my current order, I've only got about 3 blocks of cherry left. Like to use it on poultry and just as a blend. Also have almost run out of red oak because of my new found love of Tri tip. I really like it over the traditional red oak. All my others are in good supply so I was going to branch out with the 3rd choice. I think I'm going with the alder since the wife has been on me to smoke some salmon...haven't done that yet.

Thanks for the input.

Back