As I Wait in Eager Anticipation .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Fox

TVWBB Member
..... I'm collecting the ingredients for the ribs and butts I will be Q'ing with my new WSM which will hopefully be here today or tomorrow. Thanks to all on this wonderful for your help up to this point.

I have a question about the dry rub for the BRITU ribs: What difference - if any - will there be if I use regular iodized salt instead of the non-iodized as is indicated in the recipe? Where does one get non-iodized salt? It may be in a regular (Farmer Jack or Kroger) supermarket, but I have never looked for it before.

Also, is there REALLY that much of a difference between Sourwood Honey and others?

Thanks again in advance .....

Bob

Not sure about the iodized vs non-iodized thing. I would use kosher instead. Easy on the salt cause ribs are thin. Not much meat mass.

I've used regular ole' honey and it was just fine. They may be a difference, but I'm not sure I could tell it. I've gotten away from the BRITU because I have found other rubs and methods I like better.

Main thing is to be careful with the salt amount!

Jim

Many people fell that the iodine in iodized salt gives it an off or heavy flavor and I would agree. However, you'll see non-iodized salt in the supermarket.

I agree with Jim and would use Kosher instead. When I make rib rubs I don't blend the salt into the rub. I sprinkle it on the ribs first then apply the rub over it--gives you more control.

Sourwood honey is delicious as are many individual tree/flower honeys. I particularly like lavender and thyme. I can't imagine it makes to0 much difference though in the BRITU recipe as they are so sweet anyway. Personally I am not a fan of the BRITU style--too sweet to me (as you may know if you've seen my comments or recipe posts elsewhere in this forum) but that said, use whatever honey you have on hand. I am sure they'll turn out just fine.

If you're interested you can find individual wood/flower honeys in better supermarkets and on line. When I have guests we sometimes do honey tastings on biscuits. Kind of fun and different.

Let us know how your ribs turn out!

Yah, I'd go kosher salt.

We wanna see pictures!
icon_smile.gif

Robert:
Welcome to TVWBB. I will try and do a link. However, if the link does not work, do a search on iodized salt. What I remember reading was that it will leave a streak in certain meats...
Well the link did not work. I have to practice on using links. But do the search and you will find good solid information as well.

Well, my WSM did indeed get delivered yesterday, and I'm pumped! Assembly was a cinch, and all parts were in good shape. My ET-73 came on Friday, so all I'm waiting for now is my Weber Charcoal Chimney, which I'm sure will be here by the weekend.

I'll search the forum for "Iodized Salt" because I am curious. I will also investigate other recipes for ribs, as it seems the BRITU may not necessarily be the BRITU !!

Thanks again for your help .....

Bob

You should start out using some sort of recipe, but in the end you'll be using BRIYU.

Best Ribs in Your Universe.
icon_smile.gif

Robert, definitely take a look at other rub/sauce combos out there, but BRITU is a great place to start. You'll eventually figure out what works best for you, as Andy says, but BRITU is a pretty good baseline, and Chris has put together a great set of directions for someone just starting out with a WSM.

For the record, I'm still using the BRITU rub (with kosher salt) on lots of things, but I've given up on the sauce -- it's a bit too sweet and globby for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back