Are there any downsides to 4 burner over 3?

Paul Harker

Other than likely needing a bit more gas for a given temperature, are there any downsides to a 4 burner Genesis II compared to a 3?

I have the SE-335. 3 burners and a sear burner. Unless you plan to grill a lot at once, i find 3 to be more than enough. Mine will do 600 plus degrees.

Last edited:
My quick answer (and question) is whether you mean the larger, four separate burner Genesis II or the 3-burner with the extra 4th "sear" burner?

I had an earlier 300 series with the 4th sear burner. I agree with Mark that the regular three can do perfectly fine, but I did enjoy using the sear burner on steaks where I found reversing the order to using that side second rather than first worked best for me.

The "regular" 4-burner I am sure is a fine grill with more space for bigger cooks. I have heard ion a review somewhere, though, that it didn't fare as well for evenness as the 3-burner (or presumably the 3-burner with the extra sear burner).

Well, that version certainly has caught my eye as being the most impressive of the Genesis II line. I would say it is better because of more grilling space. If you don't need that for smaller cooks you could just leave the end burner turned off.

Price would be the biggest difference.
Course right now I am trying to smoke a rack on a 3-burner and could use just a bit more space. The dual-zone does not leave a lot of space for racks or anything else.
Other option is buying two grills for less. Paging Bruce

Back