Are Pans Safe in Smoker?

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I wanted to try some sides this turkey day in the WSM, but am concerned about what will happen to the dishes in the smoker. Will they turn brown if they go in white? If so, can it be washed back to white again? I think these are porcelain or clay that I'm using....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Willis:
I wanted to try some sides this turkey day in the WSM, but am concerned about what will happen to the dishes in the smoker. Will they turn brown if they go in white? If so, can it be washed back to white again? I think these are porcelain or clay that I'm using.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as they have an enamel coating on them you will be able to wash the smoke off. Otherwise I wouldn't put a clay pot for example in it.

I have used some of my wife's pots / Pyrex in the WSM, but I cover them is aluminum foil before they go in. Never had a problem

I used a pyrex dish when I smoked on the Performer and it turned a great looking amber color. It washed off no problem.

a smoker gives cast iron a great color. i use a cast iron dutch oven and frying pans in the smoker and kettle all the time.

I mostly use cast iron (not coated) but have also used cast aluminum, corel (spelling?), and pyrex. It does change color in the smoker but it wipes off nice and easy with no problmes.

Clark

Back