Are Heat Beads too Hot for WSM?

Graham Timson

I have just taken delivery of a new 181/2” WSM, on reading the instructions I noticed that Weber do not recommend the use of Heat Beads as a fuel, does anyone know why that is?

Heat Beads are not spoken of much on this forum so I wonder if it is an unfamiliar product to Americans, it is after all Australian. For those who are interested there is some information here http://www.heatbeads.com

In the UK Weber have repackaged Heat Beads and are selling them as Weber BBQ Briquettes, presumably only for kettles etc.

Never used, or even seen, them, but if they are a charcoal product, they're probably ok to use. Weber doesn't recommend using lump charcoal either. Do a search using "Beads". There are several threads about using them.

Hi Graham,

I've never heard that Weber advise against using heat-beads... they are essentially the same as the US branded kingsford charcoal briquettes. I am in Australia and use heat beads exclusively as we have no other good quality briquettes available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j. pavone:
I love the 60 dollar chimney starter they are selling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG! Just proves there are people out there with way too much money
icon_biggrin.gif

Graham
G"day Mate.
Heatbead brand briquettes are an Australian made product and work extemely well for all types of cooking. They are of a uniform size (38 mm) and composition. The burn evenly and consistantly with no chemical taste.
I demonstrate cooking in the Kettle with them and when I use a WSM I use heatrbeads.
Heatbeads brand is the only brand that I use and recommend to customers.

I have no association with Auschar (the Heat Beads manufacturer) nor do I get any freebees from them(though it would be nice if I did) LOL.

Regards

Yopu can use and half burnt leftove heatbeads for your next cook without any problems.

Back